tbi intake manifold options

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

grampadirt

On MEDICARE Officially Old
Reaction score

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"Peanut" ports are also known as "round-ports", and they've been around far longer than the " '90s ". They were available in the early-mid '70s if not before. Some round-port heads even had tiny valves--small-block sized. The ones I've seen with my own eyes had normal "oval port" valves--2.07 intakes, and 1.77 (?) exhausts.

Rectangular-port heads had 2.19 intakes, some had 1.88 exhausts.

The Vortec L29 heads have "large oval" port entrances, but then there's the ski-jump cast into the port near the valve guide; which dramatically cuts down airflow. Stock L29 heads supposedly have better power production than stock Gen 5 peanut- (round-) port heads, but some of that power gain is due to the smaller chamber/higher compression ratio.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
"Peanut" ports are also known as "round-ports", and they've been around far longer than the " '90s ". They were available in the early-mid '70s if not before. Some round-port heads even had tiny valves--small-block sized. The ones I've seen with my own eyes had normal "oval port" valves--2.07 intakes, and 1.77 (?) exhausts.

Rectangular-port heads had 2.19 intakes, some had 1.88 exhausts.

The Vortec L29 heads have "large oval" port entrances, but then there's the ski-jump cast into the port near the valve guide; which dramatically cuts down airflow. Stock L29 heads supposedly have better power production than stock Gen 5 peanut- (round-) port heads, but some of that power gain is due to the smaller chamber/higher compression ratio.

And simply whizzing off the ski jump doesn't do a whole helluva lot does it?

99xcss4

frank'n (truburban) K-2500
Reaction score
do l29 heads have the same chamber shape as l31 heads? I have read some where that the 305 never got true vortec heads that it retained tbi that fit the vortec intake is this true? and while we are at it tell me about the medium duty coil near plug l21

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
do l29 heads have the same chamber shape as l31 heads? I have read some where that the 305 never got true vortec heads that it retained tbi that fit the vortec intake is this true? and while we are at it tell me about the medium duty coil near plug l21
The 305 heads are true vortec heads, just not the same as a 350. The Vortec treatment on the 305 worked better on it than the 350, despite the 305 keeping a single cat.

Onizukachan

Great Teacher
Reaction score
Just noticed your a few minutes away in Cruces.
if you are ever down here in ELP at the east side detail garage rides n coffee you’ll see the truck. Stop by and say hi. if I’m not there by it, everyone knows who I am and can point me out.
Hoping to have most of the interior redone in time for this months.

Onizukachan

Great Teacher
Reaction score
Oh and if you still have your idle air solenoid aka throttle kicker on yours, can you take me a picture of it from the front? The solenoid near the left side of engine near t stat, not the vacuum kicker, that I have and know works.

I have only the one pic amd I know it has 2 vacuum hoses, one on each end, but all the pictures I’m find ing of th3 part for sale show 3 ports 2 on one end and 1 on the other. Tripping to figure out exactly what this is and how it mo)nuts so I can replace yet another thing someone lopped off or modified like an idiot

99xcss4

Reaction score
Oh and if you still have your idle air solenoid aka throttle kicker on yours, can you take me a picture of it from the front? The solenoid near the left side of engine near t stat, not the vacuum kicker, that I have and know works.

I have only the one pic and I know it has 2 vacuum hoses, one on each end, but all the pictures I’m find ing of th3 part for sale show 3 ports 2 on one end and 1 on the other. Tripping to figure out exactly what this is and how it mo)nuts so I can replace yet another thing someone lopped off or modified like an idiot
the tuck is up in torc right now and even if it was here now all I could do unconditionally is see if it is there or not I have a major visual impairment and do not own a phone or camera I use the built in magnifier in windows to at 250% increase in size to use computers and I have 2 of the worst hobbies a legally blind person can have vintage audio and mechanics

99xcss4

Reaction score
Just noticed your a few minutes away in Cruces.
if you are ever down here in ELP at the east side detail garage rides n coffee you’ll see the truck. Stop by and say hi. if I’m not there by it, everyone knows who I am and can point me out.
Hoping to have most of the interior redone in time for this months.
I do not make it out that way too much unless me and my stepdad are going to one of the many junk yards.