TBI heads on 5.7 Vortec short block

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Isn't there a suitable port already in the manifold? If there's no flow-control valve on the heater system, you've already got your bypass.

I'm out-of-town, I don't have a SBC Vortec water pump to look at--is the hose on the Vortec pump on the inlet (suction) or the outlet (pressure) side of the impeller?

ht89

Reaction score
Isn't there a suitable port already in the manifold? If there's no flow-control valve on the heater system, you've already got your bypass.

I'm out-of-town, I don't have a SBC Vortec water pump to look at--is the hose on the Vortec pump on the inlet (suction) or the outlet (pressure) side of the impeller?

Not on the TBI manifold. I'm going to mimic this drawing...

You must be registered for see images

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You don't have a heater outlet at the right rear? My K1500 has no heater control valve--does yours?

(The Vortec in the illustration seems to have a heater control valve, but I don't think the TBI vehicles do because the heater core is also part of the water-heated intake manifold water circuit.)