Tbi fuel pressure gauge adapter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thank you guys, I purchased the cp7838 kit that @someotherguy suggested from Amazon
I've been using the CP7817 for a while now. Similar but older kit that I believe has been discontinued. Has a 60psi range on the gauge and includes the TBI fitting but nothing else. The CP7838 costs a bit more but has the 100psi gauge, a couple extra fittings, and that rubber impact/shock protection around the gauge. The extra range on the gauge may come in handy some day when you're troubleshooting something other than a TBI engine.

Richard

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
...but kinda sucks for checking the low-pressure TBI systems. The needle barely moves on a 100 psi guage.

I bought a 30 psi aftermarket gauge to put on my fuel-pressure testing hose.

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
...but kinda sucks for checking the low-pressure TBI systems. The needle barely moves on a 100 psi guage.

I bought a 30 psi aftermarket gauge to put on my fuel-pressure testing hose.
I don't necessarily disagree, but it does appear graduated enough that you could tell the difference between single digits of pressure from zero on up. Heck in the pic I posted I'm using a 145psi gauge on my TBI and I can clearly determine it's about 11.5psi even in that tiny pic from 2012. :D

Richard

FullBlowncustoms

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I was just replying to tayto's post with the same thing, ha ha. The adapter I posted fit fine after I did that ;)
I been debating for a year now about installing a permanent gauge, still not so sure just yet. Be nice though to be able to see it at anytime though. Mine has braided lines, so bit easier on mine without bending line etc...

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't necessarily disagree, but it does appear graduated enough that you could tell the difference between single digits of pressure from zero on up. Heck in the pic I posted I'm using a 145psi gauge on my TBI and I can clearly determine it's about 11.5psi even in that tiny pic from 2012.
The issue is that if a 0--100psi gauge is inaccurate by even 5% of full scale, that's 5psi, and quite critical in a system that runs on 9--13 psi.

OTOH, if a 0--30 psi gauge is off by that same percentage, the error is 1.5 psi--much more manageable.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine has braided lines, so bit easier on mine without bending line etc...
Mine are braided too but, it's easier if you loosen up the clamp holding the lines on the bell housing. With the APRV. you nee to bend the MAP tube, on the back of the TB, for it to fit.

termite

Definitely NOT Awesome
Reaction score
The first one you linked would be useful for diagnostics in place of the fuel filter. The second one you linked is the one I would choose strictly because of its compact size, and can be mounted permanently behind the TBI unit, as I did on my old '94. I strongly suggest when you're not using it to cap it off so dirt doesn't get in the valve; an old A/C service port cap fits perfectly.

You must be registered for see images attach

Actron sells that same one for $10 and change. Actron # 0180-000-1465 for the fitting: https://actron.com/content/gm-tbi-adapter-716
I can't seem to locate a source for this adapter in a quick search. Alas, I also don't want to drop ~$50 on an adapter that I still need a Schrader valve or permanent guage for.
I permanently mounted my fuel pressure gauge on the back of my Throttle Body. I got everything I needed from RV Morse Machine, before he passed away. I've had it on my truck for ~3 years now and it still works great. Total cost then was ~$130 including the AFPR.

These guys are proud of their stuff but, you can see what you need to do it, less a 90° 1/8" Street Elbow to get the gauge pointing out the side so you can see it.

@Scooterwrench was it you that added a Schrader valve to the tbi housing and made the OE regulator adjustable? Can I get an update on how it's worked out on the truck?

fancyTBI

Some of my trucks run and drive
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just sharing this. CFM technologies sells a permanent TBI fuel pressure gauge setup. I am going to add one to both trucks. They also sell a 30psi gauge.

termite

Definitely NOT Awesome
Reaction score
Just sharing this. CFM technologies sells a permanent TBI fuel pressure gauge setup. I am going to add one to both trucks. They also sell a 30psi gauge.

Yes sir. That's the one PlayingWithTBI linked to as well last year. May have to pony up the washingtons and get one, plus a Schrader valve or guage. Hopefully I can only buy one and use it on both the suburban and the doghouse if it gets rehab...