Tbi air cleaner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You'll get maybe a hp or two from it on a stock engine.
IDK if it really helps all that much with this little tiny intake hole that located behind the grille cross bar and turn signal/pkg light housing. I haven't pulled the fender to see if there's other sources of air in front of the wheel well - who knows. :imo:

Someday I'm gonna make a run with my open air cleaner, and then one with the original CAI and the baffle.

You must be registered for see images attach

351FUN

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IDK if it really helps all that much with this little tiny intake hole that located behind the grille cross bar and turn signal/pkg light housing. I haven't pulled the fender to see if there's other sources of air in front of the wheel well - who knows. :imo:

Someday I'm gonna make a run with my open air cleaner, and then one with the original CAI and the baffle.

You must be registered for see images attach

Oof that's where it pulls air in? I may rethink it altogether and leave the open filter lol. I have a cowl hood so it's getting a little cooler air than normal but again, this is all for 3-5 hp tops.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seal the cowl hood to the air cleaner, like the OEMs did--GM, Chrysler, Ford. (I don't know about AMC, Jeep, Toyota, Mercedes.)

Otherwise you're screwing-up the airflow for the cooling system, AND not getting the full benefit of the "cold" air.

351FUN

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seal the cowl hood to the air cleaner, like the OEMs did--GM, Chrysler, Ford. (I don't know about AMC, Jeep, Toyota, Mercedes.)

Otherwise you're screwing-up the airflow for the cooling system, AND not getting the full benefit of the "cold" air.
That was my goal until I saw how much work it would take. It doesn't have a round hole on the bottom like you'd expect, the entire length of the cowl is open. I'm just using it for a little extra cooling at this point since I'm in SC. I only got it because I needed a hood anyways.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You aren't getting "extra" cooling. You're losing cooling at any speed high enough to push air into the cowl hood via the high-pressure area at the base of the windshield. Every bit of airflow coming into the engine compartment from the cowl hood is competing with the air coming in from the radiator.

This is why the OEM hoods have a seal at the rear, at the cowl. They do not want air coming in at the back of the hood. Screws up under-hood airflow. Thus the cowl hood and other cold-air hoods/shaker scoops being sealed to the air cleaner.

351FUN

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You aren't getting "extra" cooling. You're losing cooling at any speed high enough to push air into the cowl hood via the high-pressure area at the base of the windshield. Every bit of airflow coming into the engine compartment from the cowl hood is competing with the air coming in from the radiator.

This is why the OEM hoods have a seal at the rear, at the cowl. They do not want air coming in at the back of the hood. Screws up under-hood airflow. Thus the cowl hood and other cold-air hoods/shaker scoops being sealed to the air cleaner.

When was the last time you heard of a cooling issue while moving? When you're driving, you get plenty of airflow. When you're not moving, or barely so, that's when cooling is an issue, and having a large vent at the back of the hood helps dramatically.

TreeGeared

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
PVC tubing is cheap and effective. However does not look factory. Thing is you want to still draw cooler air from the fender cavity.