TBI 4l60e to 4l80e

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TagAllen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Finally had a chance to test drive after my 4l80e swap. Worked as I had planned. All gears work including OD. This was on a 95 TBI computer with a 7427 computer. Seems Like it may shift a bit early for my taste but that is probably due to my chip coming from a service box van and I have not adjusted the tps yet.

The big round plug do as a bunch of guides say to do. Easy to find the info on. Its the same even on the newer style computer that in 96 and newer. The tricky part to find is info on what to do about a ISS and where to pin it on the 95 TBI computer. Once you figure out how the letter/number locations work on the ecu plugs its not tricky just scary looking at that many wires.

After you do the round plug end you will have 2 free wires. Of course those 2 free wires are white and tan/black. On the computer end for TBI those are pin E2 and E10. E2 is the white wire will be moved to F2. E10 is the tan/black wire will be moved to F3. Then you will need to go back to the transmission end of the harness and put on a ISS plug. F2 which is now the white wire form the round plug is now the positive for the ISS. F3 which is has become the tan/black wire is now the negative ISS. I can not find in my records which side of the ISS plug is positive and negative.

I also did a 454/carb/HEI swap at the same time. I assume if you keep the stock engine and injection/distributor the computer would already be set up with the tach signal. But how I had to do it for a tach signal was hook a wire from the tach location on the HEI cap to the purple/white wire that is on the flat 4 wire plug for the stock distributor. This also has the added benefit of tripping the fuel pump to continue to run. For distributor power I just used the pink wire that originally powered the stock ignition coil.

Of course you will need the correct chip in your ecu to run it.
My transmission came from a 96 2wd suburban which is a completely different type of computer.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Cool. I remember you posted some questions regarding the swap.

Is your truck a 1500? How was the tranmission crossmember adjusted on your truck?

TagAllen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes a c1500 short bed regular cab.
The cross member was odd. I had extra holes farther back. Since I had a parts 96 suburban I thought I would use that crossmember. None of the holes lined up. So I put my original 4l60 member in and 3 holes lined up. Drilled the 4th. I wonder if a 95 4l80 crossmember would have worked. If not hard telling what the extra holes were for. Of course I had to have the driveshaft shortened.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok, that was going to be my next question about the driveshaft...you have a one piece driveshaft, right?

There's been a few guys here asking about 80 swaps in the TBI trucks. May want too look around and maybe you can answer some questions.

TagAllen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Oh ya. Also notice the pins can come out of the plugs you do not have to cut or splice them on the plug end or computer end.

Last edited:

TagAllen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The video below is not me. It is not even on a TBI Truck. But the round plug he is working on still needs the pins moved in the way he does it. Although as I said the ECM end of the job for a TBI is different as I posted above.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

dusterbd13

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks!
Im starting the 60-80 swap in my 95 as well. Unfortunately, ill be burning my own prom for the ecm, as there are NONE to be found around here.

What code are you running? It'll be four letters.

TagAllen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I dont recall. The truck is covered in snow at the moment. So in the next few days I can check it. I got my chip from a 95 box/service van. The van had a 350/4l80. But as i said i put in a 454 with HEI. So I pretty much only hooked up the transmission end. I am sure there would be better examples of chips then the one I used. I had trouble finding a chip local also. The local junkyards have all the computers pulled probably going to ebay. Plus they are hard to order places want you to give them the code versus telling you what it came out of.

Last edited:

dusterbd13

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here they list by ecm interchange number, not even application. It is what it is. Thats why moates exists!

Im more wondering for backup .bin planning. I have what i think is a solid and good program, but another known good would be awesome.

And thank you again for the wiring writeup. Best, most succinct one ive found.