TBI 350/TH400 to Vortec 454/4L80E - stand-alone ECU?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nick_R_23

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I’m looking for a new hauling truck, and came across a 1989 Chevy Single Cab Dually 4x4 truck with a TBI 350 and TH400 transmission. Seller claims it’s a ‘2500‘ but it appears to have been a factory dually, at least according to the pictures, so it’s most likely a true 3500.

The seller claims the engine jumped time (sounds like possibly broke the timing chain), and the engine doesn‘t start.

Instead of repairing that engine and still being stuck with a non-OD transmission, I’ve considered the possibility of using the Vortec 7.4L and 4L80E I have to gain more power, plus an OD gear. I have the entire PCM/harness from the donor vehicle.

My question is, has anyone made the black box PCM standalone to work in a TBI truck? I swear that there’s a thread on this, but the Search is failing me.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My question is, has anyone made the black box PCM standalone to work in a TBI truck? I swear that there’s a thread on this, but the Search is failing me.
Why not a 16197427 out of a 93 or 94?

Edit: Here's a link that may help.