Tbi 350 surges then dies

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mockspeed88

Reaction score
Tbi 350 in 94 k2500 surges then dies. But if I unplug the timing advance wire in dash (tan with black) idles and runs perfect. What's new is about everything. (Fuel pump, distributor, wires, plugs, headers, exhaust system, cts, egr valve) throttle body was rebuilt with kit. If I spray an alternate fuel in it dies. I set the timing with light to 0 degrees. 02 sensor?

Last edited:

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Almost sounds like the ICM is bad. When you disconnect the EST bypass wire, in essence, you're bypassing the ICM connection to the PCM. I know you have a new distributor, what brand?

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Connect a scan tool, look at the data stream.

Especially, pay attention to coolant temp sensor, MAP sensor, TPS. O2 sensor after it warms up; and the Idle Air Control.

Have you ever cleaned the IAC passage and throttle blades/throttle body with aerosol carb spray?

What is the cranking compression of all eight cylinders?

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
You could pop in the old module as ab AB test. Did it run o.k. with the old distributor?

Just because it's new doesn't mean it works properly. I mean it was built by humans, it has moving parts, and it involves electricity. I'm surprised any of them work to be honest. You could look at my post Yellow Spark to see what I did this week.