Take a guess at what drop this has

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
These trucks need a 3" difference Rr>Fr to ride level.
My black truck just had 2" shackles for the first couple years.
Had the stinkbug stance. ...and too much gap between the top of the tire & the wheel well opening.
Dropped it to 4/6. Stil stinkbug. Still gappage, but less. (Doh!)
@ 4/7, (+ shackle @ 1") it sits level & the tops of the rear tires just tuck.

My blue one is @ 2/4. It's sits at a steeper angle than my other truck did @ 4/6. Bother's me. I take pix of the truck so it's not so apparent!
Getting another inch in the rear for a 2/5 is counter-productive.
Only way to do that properly is a flip for 6" & then raising it 1" with a short shackle. Still have to notch the frame. I'd feel better with the crossmember done, too.
Screw that. If doing the work of getting it dropped with a flip, it's staying @ 6. ...or mayyybe going lower! Raising trucks is for 4x4-land.
Then the front coils would need a hair cut. 1 coil = 2" drop.

So with all that blah-blah-blah, when/if you get to check it out closer, look to see if the frame's notched, or, if it's not, just how close are the axle tubes to the frame?
Longer shackle with extra holes? (Factory ones don't have the extra.)
Stock hangars mount the spring's eye below the frame. Drop ones mount the eye in the center of the frame width.
*Front hangars will mess with the pinion angle*
So from there you could figure out exactly what's been done to the truck & if it's a hack job or not.

If there is no overload spring, the rear will ride like a PoGo stick.
When I first went to 7", I removed the overload & replaced it with a custom one bent to match the others. Got the 1", but it rode like poop. The rear would go straight through the travel & onto the bump stops at every dip, R/R crossing or any hint of enthusiatic cornering. No progression to the suspension travel, which is what that 'overload' provides.

Drop shackles & hangars, a removed leaf & no notch?

You must be registered for see images attach

bustedknuckles

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
On my step side, the 2" rear drop shackle dropped the rear of my truck less than 1". Seems like a common issue with the short boxes.

Do you have a picture of your truck? What size tires are you using? Judging by your avatar, you have a lot of rake like the front is dropped which may be accenting the gap in the rear right now.
Here is pics of it today. On fairly level ground. 235 75 15 all around

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm guessing when they say a 2" drop the shackles are actually 4" longer than OE? Otherwise it would only be a net 1" drop with 2" longer ones since the axle is the same distance from the front and rear hangers (A & B dimensions).

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Drop shackles claim a 2" drop. Whether or not that drop is a true 2" is debatable. The actual amount of drop could also vary between manufacturers.
I have a brand new set in the box that I'll have to dig out & measure. Seems to me that it's a 2" lower mounting point. The holes are definitely not a 4" LMP.
I've seen some drop shackles that have rubbed holes in the box floor right above the top of the shackle from the swing motion during spring compression. Could of been just a poorly designed shackle. Can't remember if the tops of those were round or square.

bustedknuckles

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I guess my hang-up and hesitation to order parts is the fact that from the top of the tread on a 235 75 15 tire it is like 7 1/2 in. To the bottom of the bed wheel well. Saying that adding front hangers for 2 inches aint going to cut it. So doing a flip for 6 inches will still leave roughly an 1 1/2 with the factory tire. Wanting to change to a 275 60 15 will leave even more gap. Am I looking at this correctly? This is so confusing to me. The measurements from front to back shows 3 inches more in back. So thinking this, a 2 inch spindle and about a half coil should be good for the front. If I get the flip done with the rear shackles I have and its still to high what option do I have?

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Start at the 1" drop with the the shackle. If you need more, go to the 2" hole.
1/2 a coil cut is good for a 1" drop.

My '98 @ 4/6 with 275/60-15's. Crap pic to show how close things are & the rake, though. Just showing that that'll work.

On 20's. Still with a bit of the stinkbug.

The stock 235/75-15's = 28.88" tall.
275/60-15's = 28". They actually lower the truck .44" from the stock tire size. ...and will add an additional .44 gap at the top. Less than 1/2 an inch.
Those 20's in the rear are a 295/40. They're 29.3". 1/2" taller than the stockers. They only raise the truck 1/4", and are 1/4" taller inside the wheel well.

I'd start with the 4/6 & if you want the rear lower, then go with a drop shackle, starting with the 1" drop position first.
Drop shackles can be installed in under an hour, so it's not like it's a big job.
Just be aware that you may have to adjust the pinion angle with a shim when/if you go with the shackle. A shim install requires a bit more work than just sliding it in there between the perches & the springs.
The BellTech kit already has the pinion angle dialed into the kit's design. The shackle may mess that up.
DJM's kit is adjustable for the angle.

bustedknuckles

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Start at the 1" drop with the the shackle. If you need more, go to the 2" hole.
1/2 a coil cut is good for a 1" drop.

My '98 @ 4/6 with 275/60-15's. Crap pic to show how close things are & the rake, though. Just showing that that'll work.

On 20's. Still with a bit of the stinkbug.

The stock 235/75-15's = 28.88" tall.
275/60-15's = 28". They actually lower the truck .44" from the stock tire size. ...and will add an additional .44 gap at the top. Less than 1/2 an inch.
Those 20's in the rear are a 295/40. They're 29.3". 1/2" taller than the stockers. They only raise the truck 1/4", and are 1/4" taller inside the wheel well.

I'd start with the 4/6 & if you want the rear lower, then go with a drop shackle, starting with the 1" drop position first.
Drop shackles can be installed in under an hour, so it's not like it's a big job.
Just be aware that you may have to adjust the pinion angle with a shim when/if you go with the shackle. A shim install requires a bit more work than just sliding it in there between the perches & the springs.
The BellTech kit already has the pinion angle dialed into the kit's design. The shackle may mess that up.
DJM's kit is adjustable for the angle.

So basically use the drop spindles for 2 inches and cut 1 coil for 2 more. Got that. As for the rear i can keep the installed pictured shackles and just add the flip kit and notch ( which I already have) of course I will need to install upper and lower shock relocators. I have talked with you before about shocks and you suggested a certain brand and two different grades. Would you have the part numbers for those shocks, front and rear. I am on somewhat of a budget but am willing to spend a little extra for the best. I just was concerned about the height in the rear after all the lowering is done. Just want it right the first time around and get rid of that huge wheel well gap on the rear. Ive had this truck since almost new and just trying to freshen it up for a better ride, handling as well as a little easier to get into. Getting old sucks when you cant even climb up in a 2 wd truck. Im needing an alignment badly after a new pitman arm and rag joint and need an upper ball joint as well. After the drop I am going with a new set of wheels and tires and don't want to do a second alignment so hopefully I can accomplish all this in about a weeks time and be back on the road. You have some beautiful trucks and can only hope I can achieve the same for mine. By the way i was thinking of DJM spindles and what i understand they dont stick out like other brands,, any insite on that brand? Also what brand suggested for the flip? I love my truck, that may sound weird, but its become my passion. I want to get the drop done so I can start thinking of an engine swap, LS? Thats a whole other story. Thank you so much for all your help as well as everyone else who has put up with me.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
I guess you guys might not like my stance either It is a bell tech 4/6 18 on front 20 on back. Sets about level when I first did it. Raised back 2” for tire clearance. Rather not scuff up my tires

Looks great to me! Like the monochrome paint too, and the wheels!