Tailgate trim removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Now i looked with my glasses on i can see the black. Same wheels i had on my 97. Very nice. What did you use to polish?
I stripped the clear coat off with some aircraft paint stripper I bought @ ORileys. Then I buffed them out with a cotton buff on a die grinder loaded up with some white jewelers rouge . Then I hand buffed this out with some white diamond metal polish. Here are a few pics of the bow tie I made and installed under the hood. I did the same thing to it. I made the bow tie at work out of some 1/8" aluminum sheet metal.
You must be registered for see images attach

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I back light the bow ties with some LED string lights. And I added some more LED lights under the hood and along the cowl. Click on the pics to in large.

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
White diamond metal polish works wonders, but it is the cotton buff loaded with white jewelers rouge on a die grinder or even a drill that is the real trick. Thats what removes the old oxidation and shines up the aluminum. The white diamond polish does the finish shine and has a protectent built in the polish so it last and seals in the shine.

Kens1990K2500

One Piece At A Time
Reaction score
You could always strip off the clear coat, buff it out and repaint the letters like I did with mine. Yes that is a reflection me in the first pic, before I repainted the letters, and a reflection of the grass in my yard in the second pic. Mine shines like chrome. But you will need to take the dent out of yours. Mine was taped off when I had the truck repainted in 2013. I just did the buff out this year. As for removing it, it is on there with double sided tape. You have to get behind it with something to cut through the tape. Some 100 LB test fishing string, a guitar string, or something like that should work. Oh I did the same thing to my OE rims too.

Wow, the truck looks really sharp! The chrome tailgate band goes really well with the white paint! Well done, Sir.