Tailgate trim removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bustedknuckles

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Does anyone know if the Chevrolet tailgate trim be removed? Need to paint tailgate and remove dealship emblem. How does it come off? Pros and cons? Thanks yall
You must be registered for see images attach

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I read here of someone doing it by getting something thin like fishing line behind it and using that to cut through the glue. LMC sells a replacement if you want a new one.

ninjakris

Reaction score
Its just adhesive holding it on. I used a heat gun and a plastic putty knife and slowly peeled it off. The adhesive can be difficult to remove. Save yourself a lot of time and effort by picking up a adhesive removal wheel. The trim itself will more than likely not be salvageable, but like Eveready mentioned, you can pick up remanufactured ones if you want.
Here's an example of the removal wheel:
https://www.amazon.com/Remover-Stic...remover+wheel&qid=1569108003&s=gateway&sr=8-4

MSCustoms

Its not just a Truck
Reaction score
The adhesive tape behind mine was getting brittle and I was able to get a drywall scraper behind the banner and used a hammer to cut throught the adhesive. I painted my tailgate and wanted to reuse my banner

bustedknuckles

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Im not reusing the piece but wanted to keep it as straight as possible, gonna attach it to my mancave wall. Just wanted to make sure of any hidden hole that may be behind it so i dont have to weld up holes. The tail gate just makes the rest of the paint look like crap. Wanting to fix it until i can paint the entire truck.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
You could always strip off the clear coat, buff it out and repaint the letters like I did with mine. Yes that is a reflection me in the first pic, before I repainted the letters, and a reflection of the grass in my yard in the second pic. Mine shines like chrome. But you will need to take the dent out of yours. Mine was taped off when I had the truck repainted in 2013. I just did the buff out this year. As for removing it, it is on there with double sided tape. You have to get behind it with something to cut through the tape. Some 100 LB test fishing string, a guitar string, or something like that should work. Oh I did the same thing to my OE rims too.

Last edited:

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
As others have said, some fishing line, a scraper, heat gun etc. will get it off since it just held on by 3M automotive tape adhesive. Remember: heat is your friend when removing anything with adhesive. ;)

bustedknuckles

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You could always strip off the clear coat, buff it out and repaint the letters like I did with mine. Yes that is a reflection me in the first pic, before I repainted the letters, and a reflection of the grass in my yard in the second pic. Mine shines like chrome. But you will need to take the dent out of yours. Mine was taped off when I had the truck repainted in 2013. I just did the buff out this year. As for removing it, it is on there with double sided tape. You have to get behind it with something to cut through the tape. Some 100 LB test fishing string, a guitar string, or something like that should work. Oh I did the same thing to my OE rims too.

That looks great. What wheels are those?