Tailgate Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My experience with aftermarket tailgates (of different model trucks) is the metal is usually thinner and the gaps aren’t as precise. They can be twisted (because of thinner sheet metal) Bolt holes can be skewed also.

Stephen

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wonder if anyone has tried to install the latch mechanism from a 2012 or later truck in a GMT 400. My brother has a 2012 and it closes so easy. I am replacing the hinges soon because it won't open wothout lifting the right side first.

fancyTBI

Some of my trucks run and drive
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wonder if anyone has tried to install the latch mechanism from a 2012 or later truck in a GMT 400. My brother has a 2012 and it closes so easy. I am replacing the hinges soon because it won't open wothout lifting the right side first.
Seems like more work than it’s worth. Keep it greased up and it will work fine. There is a company that sells a strut so it opens slowly like the newer ones.

Stephen

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seems like more work than it’s worth. Keep it greased up and it will work fine. There is a company that sells a strut so it opens slowly like the newer ones.
I thought so. I was looking at a tail gate from a 2009 on FB Marketplace but the seller wanted 400 and it was damaged beyond repair, Has anyone installed one of these assists from Amazon:
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I thought so. I was looking at a tail gate from a 2009 on FB Marketplace but the seller wanted 400 and it was damaged beyond repair, Has anyone installed one of these assists from Amazon:
Holy crap.. $70?! I've got similar items from DeeZee on both our 800's. They were $40/ea.

Unfortunately, DeeZee doesn't make one that fits 400's - I'd keep looking around though. It's a nice little mod but I might have thought twice at $70 for just one of them.

Richard

fancyTBI

Some of my trucks run and drive
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s the one I was talking about. I forgot it was $70. I’m sure you could build something similar for a lot less. They probably make pretty decent margin on that.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My experience with aftermarket tailgates (of different model trucks) is the metal is usually thinner and the gaps aren’t as precise. They can be twisted (because of thinner sheet metal) Bolt holes can be skewed also.
^^This, the aftermarket ones are thinner. which makes them light duty, The body line is generally not as crisp, and they can be off a bit in size or fitment. Generally aftermarket sheetmetal ships truck freight which is not cheap either.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
“This Gate Saver for Chevy trucks slows the tailgate opening action”-item description.
Personally, the last thing I want is the tailgate to open slowly. My 2018 had that and found it irritating. I’ve never damaged any tailgate opening one…responsibly.

Last edited: