Tailgate Not Opening? Already Replaced Handle + Rods...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

boy&hisdogs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Like the title says, my tailgate does not open properly. I have to pull the handle, then reach in and finish the job by pinching the arms together just that last little bit. First I thought it was a faulty handle, so I replaced it. Nothing changed. Then I thought it was the connecting rods being stretched/deformed, so I replaced those too... nothing changed.

What else could it be? Should I try to bend the rods a little to make them effectively shorter? Something else?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
if bending the rod will fix it..... GET R DONE. if you want acdelco.... put it on later.

my sierra has a "southern" tailgate, my buddy had this truck before me and the old tailgate was rotten. he replaced the latching mechanisms on the side of the new tailgate along with the pivot bearings that hold the tailgate on. this tailgate works perfectly.

Al

drumsdaddy

Reaction score
By some chance has the tailgate been damaged? Twisted because of a heavy load put on the gate? Bed twisted? Frame?

93chevyluvr

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Mines siezed up. I replaced the entire assembly last year and shaved the latches so that they would shut easier but that didn’t really help. Now it’s stuck open on one side and the handle won’t move at all
You must be registered for see images attach