Tailgate lights on a 5th Wheel tailgate?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

deckeda

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have not seen this, just making a comment about why not?

Consider:
-- 1 ton dually trucks come with tailgate lights due to the truck's width, for legal reasons
-- 1 ton dually trucks commonly pull 5th Wheel trailers due to having more rear tires
-- "5th Wheel" tailgates are sold to make using a 5th Wheel trailer easier (they have that center cutout)

My math doesn't add up here. (And it's not as if I'd zip-tie lights to the bars of the tailgate.)

I suppose the thinking is, if you use a 5th Wheel tailgate, the lack of lights don't matter since the trailer blocks the lights anyway. Then again, if you've installed a 5th Wheel tailgate, you're gonna typically leave it on, and without the trailer you're back to being out of compliance with the DOT with no tailgate lights.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Your trailer would have the ID marker lights on it, making the ones on the tailgate redundant.

I've never liked the tailgate lights the older models had...much better when they moved to having a smaller assembly in the gap between the tailgate and bumper.

Richard

deckeda

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your trailer would have the ID marker lights on it, making the ones on the tailgate redundant.

Ah, that's. Now to just decide on whether to keep the OEM tailgate or swap it for a 5th wheel style and lose the OEM lights altogether. I'm a sucker for the old lights.