Tailgate Letters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Duplacolor, black. Yes, car wax does help to keep it shiny. White diamond metal polish, has a built in sealer also. Thing is, the rain water, or any water that gets on the aluminum tends to leave water spots. This turns into oxyadation in time. I think the water tends to stay on the banner, because of the way the air flows over the truck as you drive. Like I said, the new finish car wax does help. I use meguiars cleaner wax on my paint a lot. I also use old green turtle wax somewhat. But the new finish seams to work best on the tailgate banner.

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
When I had my truck repainted in 2013, they just taped off around the banner. So I didnt want to remove it. I thought about doing the strips on the tailgate too, and I also like the ss, and sport letters.
You must be registered for see images attach

GreenZ98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Always thought about doing that with my Chevrolet banner, but I think I'll put the 98 style emblem and 1500 emblem on the tail gate instead (kinda like what I did when my 98 was repainted) when I get my tailgate repainted.

This, I prefer the clean look of this to the banner. But I'd leave the 1500 emblem off. Mine probably won't get any at all put back on it when i get around to repainting the whole truck.

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The aluminum tail gate banner on these trucks, was only on a few years, and only on Silverados , and GMC had them on sierras. The GMCs said GMC of course. I know 97 was the last year. Maybe 95 was the first year for the aluminum banner on GMT 400s. Square bodys had them for a while as did the 68 to 72 body style trucks, but again, only on high option trucks. I like my truck to look original for the most part, untill you look close at it, then you see all the little things I have done to it over the years.