Tailgate Letters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

610 4x4

Reaction score
Hello fellow GMT400 members. I want to make the CHEVROLET trim look good again. Was going to do some polishing and then paint letters in but went online to search for pre made letters and cant find my year. Does anyone know a site that is making them? And any tips on polishing the aluminium? A new replacement is just way to expensive. Thank you and have a good weekend

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is making tape and black spray paint to much work? Dont mean nothing by it btw. Just wondering I never had the famous CHEVEROLET on mine. But if I did I would of tried that but never new if it was a dumb idea or not

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I striped the clear coat off of mine, then buffed the aluminum out with a cotton buff, on a power buffer ( a die grinder will work) and some white jewelers polish. Then I tapped off the letters, and repainted them black, then did a final polish by hand with some white diamond metal polish. As good as it looks, it is some work to keep it up though. I have also done my rims, and under my hood ( alt, ac compressor, ac lines, brackets ect) and the tail gate banner, gets dull the quickest. I have found that some new finish polish helps, but I still have to touch up with the white diamond polish every so often.
You must be registered for see images attach

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I striped the clear coat off of mine, then buffed the aluminum out with a cotton buff, on a power buffer ( a die grinder will work) and some white jewelers polish. Then I tapped off the letters, and repainted them black, then did a final polish by hand with some white diamond metal polish. As good as it looks, it is some work to keep it up though. I have also done my rims, and under my hood ( alt, ac compressor, ac lines, brackets ect) and the tail gate banner, gets dull the quickest. I have found that some new finish polish helps, but I still have to touch up with the white diamond polish every so often.

Would clear coat help keep it polished?

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Here is a pic of the polisher I used, and the bow tie I made for under the hood. You can buy the suplus on line, e bay or amazon. And yes the bow tie is back light with LEDs that I wired into the the mecury switch on the hood, so they come on when I rise the hood, and go off when I shut the hood. I also have 2 more LED strips onder the hood at the front, and 1 more under the cowl lip. All controlled by the mercury switch.

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Would clear coat help keep it polished?

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk
It might. I have thought about doing that, but Im always polishing my truck anyway. It was repainted in 2013. I put it in several of our local car shows. It gets a lot of attention.