Tail light circuit boards ?????.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Im tired of fighting with Dorman crap circuit boards. What else you guys using. Where did you get them, and how much were they ? I changed my drivers side 2 days ago, and its already screwed up.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
I know it's like trying to find a needle in a haystack, but even in MI it's possible; OEM ones from junkyards which aren't totaled. I hoard them, I have at least two sets which are good. I slather them up with dielectric grease & Krown during the installation process. The ones I put on my '89 three years ago are still holding up just peachy.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I know it's like trying to find a needle in a haystack, but even in MI it's possible; OEM ones from junkyards which aren't totaled. I hoard them, I have at least two sets which are good. I slather them up with dielectric grease & Krown during the installation process. The ones I put on my '89 three years ago are still holding up just peachy.
Yea, my OEs just fell apart where the bulb plugs in. ORileys has a different brand be sides Dorman, and will swap the Dormans for them, so I guess I will give that a try since I still have warranty.

88monteSS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I toss the circuit board & do this.

Dunno what brand they were, but I also saw a set a friend picked up at a swap meet that had the twist in sockets instead of the boards, that might be an option if you can find them.
You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
I sure wouldn't.
1) I hate LED's
2) Looks fresh off the china express. Wonder how long that would even hold up around here with all that bare wiring exposed like that.

88monteSS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I sure wouldn't.
1) I hate LED's
2) Looks fresh off the china express. Wonder how long that would even hold up around here with all that bare wiring exposed like that.
1) fair enough, but over than the reverse one you can't tell they're LED in a stock style housing. (Ignore the top in the pic, it's the only one I have on this phone of them lit up in the housing, I put smaller LEDs in the final version that match better)
2) I don't get as much salt as you, but I haven't had any issues. I don't have a picture of it, but the final thing I did on this set was coat the connections in silicone.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
OEM GM/ACDelco replacements are still being produced, that's what I'd do if I needed some. Part numbers 16511565 (driver's side) and 16511566 (passenger side). They're around $50 each from the usual suspects like Amazon, GM Parts Direct, etc.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
Eh, I think I've paid less than $5 for each board I bought. It's worth it to me and even as a Michigander I've had good luck. SUV GMT400's seem to be the best donors.

1) fair enough, but over than the reverse one you can't tell they're LED in a stock style housing. (Ignore the top in the pic, it's the only one I have on this phone of them lit up in the housing, I put smaller LEDs in the final version that match better)
2) I don't get as much salt as you, but I haven't had any issues. I don't have a picture of it, but the final thing I did on this set was coat the connections in silicone.

Yeah, looks great when on the bench.. But it's the whole over time thing which I'm concerned about. That and LED's don't get hot enough to melt snow and ice off. You guys down south or out west might be ok with something like that.
I might stick LED's in the reverse light sockets of my boards though. We'll see. I'm old school.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Yeah, looks great when on the bench.. But it's the whole over time thing which I'm concerned about. That and LED's don't get hot enough to melt snow and ice off. You guys down south or out west might be ok with something like that.
I might stick LED's in the reverse light sockets of my boards though. We'll see. I'm old school.

I don't think we're getting much melting from our tail lights. Headlights, I could see it being an issue.