Tail gate cables

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Steven Petersen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes it was. Remember the dash changed from Moonie gauges to needle and tach gauges too.

I wonder if someone with a 92+ can check to see if they have the rubber bumpers and cables?
I can confirm 92 had cables. My dad bought a brand new K1500 in 92. I took my driving test in it in 93. Later on I shared ownership with him. We sold it in 2014. Had 165,000 original miles and was like new. Now I regret selling it.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Found a 1990 brochure. Still had steel straps.

You must be registered for see images attach

That doesn't really mean anything. It's a brochure picture, and it's a very minor, easily overlooked, detail that you're looking at. The picture would have been taken before the model year was actually released.

Edit: In fact that picture is a larger (less cropped) version of a picture from the 88 brochure. The wood is stacked the same way, and I can even match a few of the knots in the wood.

Last edited:

Steven Petersen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That doesn't really mean anything. It's a brochure picture, and it's a very minor, easily overlooked, detail that you're looking at. The picture would have been taken before the model year was actually released.
So you think they used some pictures of 90 models and some of older models in the same brochure? Possible I guess but not likely. The other pickup with the frontal view is obviously a 90 with it’s composite headlights.

Steven Petersen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Found on classic parts website. Tailgate hinges for 88-92 had 2 holes vs. later design only had 1 hole. Other than mounting holes they appear to be identical.

Steven Petersen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I went back and looked at some of my pictures. My truck has those rubber bumpers on the box but none on the tail gate. Maybe they were removed sometime before I bought the truck? I wonder if the later trucks that came with cables had those bumpers? That may be the indication whether the truck came with or without cables?

Looks like 88-91 had the bumpers on the tailgate.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score

So you think they used some pictures of 90 models and some of older models in the same brochure? Possible I guess but not likely. The other pickup with the frontal view is obviously a 90 with it’s composite headlights.

The picture of the front has nothing to do with a picture of the bed that didn't change for the whole GMT-400 run. Someone over looked the minor detail of change from tailgate straps to cables. They already had the picture they needed from a prior year and used it after re-sizing and re-cropping it.

Steven Petersen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The picture of the front has nothing to do with a picture of the bed that didn't change for the whole GMT-400 run. Someone over looked the minor detail of change from tailgate straps to cables. They already had the picture they needed from a prior year and used it after re-sizing and re-cropping it.

Here’s a pic of a 454ss from an ad. As you know they only started making those in 1990.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score

Here’s a pic of a 454ss from an ad. As you know they only started making those in 1990.

Again... the brochures are done early so they are READY for the model year. They're featuring big changes and big features. Tail gate straps to cables would be a minor change easily over looked. The may not have even made the switch across all the plants at the same time. GM will run stock out if it's not a change to actually fix a real problem.

Steven Petersen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Again... the brochures are done early so they are READY for the model year. They're featuring big changes and big features. Tail gate straps to cables would be a minor change easily over looked. The may not have even made the switch across all the plants at the same time. GM will run stock out if it's not a change to actually fix a real problem.

Must have ran out old stock clear through 91.