Tail gate cables

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Opened the tail gate today and one of the cables is busted. Knew there was something I wanted to do to the tail gate this fall before hunting season.............

Anyway, what are the good ones? Ones to stay away from? Or are they all the same?

Mr_white_obs

Reaction score
Can't seem to find the forum back, but I swear there were guys who put the metal straps on their tailgates from the older trucks to replace the cables and they like them better.

I put the cheapest tailgate cables on mine and they held up just fine for a few years now.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought a replacement cable from the "Help" section at O'Reileys. The issue I had is now one is a tad shorter than the other, kind of putting the tail gate under undue stress. After a couple years they evened out, LOL. I'd replace both next time with same sourced products.

slovcan

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I replaced the pair of mine when one broke. I have one original left if you want it - more likely the right length if yours are still original. Of course, postage might make it more expensive than a pair of cheapies closer to home for you.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
The steel straps were only used the first year or two. I'd love to have a set. A girl I used to work with had them on her early 400. My dad's old 90 had the cables.

I replaced my cables, and I think I bought them from the dealer. I do think one is shorter, or was.... I haven't paid attention to that recently. That could be the way the bed is built, for all I know.

slovcan

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I replaced my cables, and I think I bought them from the dealer. I do think one is shorter, or was.... I haven't paid attention to that recently. That could be the way the bed is built, for all I know.

My originals were definitely the same length, but the replacements were both different length (same as each other, but different than the original).

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The steel straps were only used the first year or two. I'd love to have a set. A girl I used to work with had them on her early 400. My dad's old 90 had the cables.
My '89 has the steel straps. So, likely only '88-89 had them, but GM, so there are probably some '89s with cables and some '90s with straps depending on what they found cleaning out a closet and threw on the assembly line.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My '89 has the steel straps. So, likely only '88-89 had them, but GM, so there are probably some '89s with cables and some '90s with straps depending on what they found cleaning out a closet and threw on the assembly line.
I don't know what GM's wisdom was for installing cables or straps. My 88 has cables.

Steven Petersen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
Only the metal straps were used in 88-89. Here’s the 88-89 parts catalog along with pics of my 88. I believe there’s also a difference in tailgate mounting holes for brackets vs cables, but I can’t confirm that.