Tail/Dash light issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JohnG3

Reaction score
1998 GMC Sierra Z71 5.7. This evening my dash lights and tail lights quit working while driving on the interstate. Brake lights are fine, in fact when I press brake pedal the dash lights come back on and go off when I release the break pedal. Both turn signal lights work, And if I put my right turn signal on the dash lights flash with the turn signal. I can turn my emergency flashers on and dash lights flash with the flashers. I was towing a small trailer when this happened and disconnected the the trailer and nothing changed. Fuses seem fine. Any thoughts? I’d appreciate any help - I am no mechanic and have not found anything online.

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A bulb socket has melted in the rear circuit boards. The power to the brake/t-sig has short circuited to the parking light.
The short is back feeding to the parking lights, that's why the dash lights come on.
Check your ground wire also.

Watch the episode of Roadkill when they're auto crossing the Rotsun. Finnegan hits the brake and the front parking light turn on...