Swapping 88-94 Dash into 1995+ GMC/Chevy (Going backwards!)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sjay89

Reaction score
I havent been able to find a write up about this - only the other way around..

Now that its almost 2020 and these trucks are becoming classics, I realize that the 95+ interior GM updated on the trucks in my opinion, does not suit the body lines of the truck. The 88-94 square interior seems more at home in these trucks than does the bubbly dashes GM decided to go with.

So this begs the question, has anyone swapped in the older dash? Only thing I can think that would be problematic is the heater controls and maybe the gauge cluster.

Any thoughts?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
IIRC the HVAC ducting is all different as well. Meaning you'd need all the ducts and possibly the blower box, not sure if those interchange.

You'd also need the older door panels, otherwise they won't line up with the dash properly.

Z71Hobbs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Essentially need a donor truck. Everything dash and included components need to be swapped. Steering column brackets that are welded to the firewall are also either different or in a slightly different position. Easier to find a 92-94 setup.

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
AFAIK, the blower boxes themselves are the same 88-98, however the blend motors and HVAC controllers changed, which means you'd need the motors and HVAC wiring harness from the older model as well. I've tried using the newer motors on the old (digital) controller, and vice-versa - they don't work right. Open the motors up and the internal electronics are all different between the old and new despite having the same connectors.

I too love the 88-94 interiors much more than the 95+ and would love to do the swap myself .. My only issue is, I can't find a donor truck with power mirrors lol. I recall reading somewhere that only the full-size 94 Blazer had power windows and mirrors and the proper door panels/wiring to match. The 94 Suburban had power mirrors as well, but I don't want/need the extra 2 window switches for rear doors I don't have.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
To each their own; I say buy the era of truck that has the interior you want. Each time I see an ad for a truck that has mixed interior, I just cringe and move on to the next.

Richard