swapped rear axle identification

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It looks like the 8.6 and 9.5 G80s have the exposed center part, (as well as the 11.5?)

The 10.5" is not exposed.

Lift one tire and try to drive away. The other wheel on the ground should gain traction and you should move forward.

Check out this video:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I may have had hands on one of those exact cut-away models recently.... probably the 7.5". Along with an open diff made for display, but not a cut-away. They were up for auction at a local auction house, and I went to take a look at them, fully planning on bidding (online). Then I forgot about the auctions. Something made me think of them again, and I tried looking for them on the auction site, and they were no where to be found. I talked with an employee of the auction house, and he told me that Eaton saw the auctions, and wanted them back, so they pulled them.

The Eaton plant is no longer there, in Marshall, but the Proving Grounds are still used, last I heard.

Last edited:

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I may have had hands on one of those exact cut-away models recently.... probably the 7.5". Along with and open diff made for display, but not a cut-away. They were up for auction at a local auction house, and I went to take a look at them, fully planning on bidding (online). Then I forgot about the auctions. Something made me think of them again, and I tried looking for them on the auction site, and they were no where to be found. I talked with an employee of the auction house, and he told me that Eaton saw the auctions, and wanted them back, so they pulled them.

The Eaton plant is no longer there, in Marshall, but the Proving Grounds are still used, last I heard.
Clearly they were worried someone would steal their handiwork and copy it :anitoof: .... any interested party could have just disassembled an existing production unit, if only they could find one that didn't already look like this:

You must be registered for see images attach

Richard

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That would test the function including the ability of the clutch pack to not slip under power.

The test I was thinking of is less-satisfactory but faster 'n' easier. Jack up one side of the rear axle. Trans in Neutral. Spin the lifted tire by hand. At some point, you'll spin it hard enough and the Gov-Lock should engage and stop the wheel. As long as you maintain rotational pressure on that tire, it'll stay locked. When you let go, so does the Gov-Lock.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
That would test the function including the ability of the clutch pack to not slip under power.

The clutches just engage the mechanism that locks the diff, they don't lock the diff themselves. The pawl does the actual locking.

The test I was thinking of is less-satisfactory but faster 'n' easier. Jack up one side of the rear axle. Trans in Neutral. Spin the lifted tire by hand. At some point, you'll spin it hard enough and the Gov-Lock should engage and stop the wheel. As long as you maintain rotational pressure on that tire, it'll stay locked. When you let go, so does the Gov-Lock.

That's how Richard got that picture :cool:

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The clutches just engage the mechanism that locks the diff, they don't lock the diff themselves. The pawl does the actual locking.
Other way around.

The pawl engages the mechanism that locks the clutches. The clutches transmit engine power to the axle shaft with more traction.

Note what happens just after the four-minute mark in this simulation.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Other way around.

The pawl engages the mechanism that locks the clutches. The clutches transmit engine power to the axle shaft with more traction.

Note what happens just after the four-minute mark in this simulation.

Hmm, I've seen that before, but apparenlty don't fully understand it.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Before the lock-up, the side gears spin with the ramp device. The clutches have no preload, so they slip. The differential acts like an "open" diff.

When the pawl catches, it stops the pawl shaft, which is geared to the ramp thingie. With the ramp stopped, the side gear still turns until the ramp puts enough load on the clutches that the side-gear stops turning, too. That locks the differential which directs torque to the wheel with traction.