Swaping a vortec on non vortec truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Aperrado

Reaction score
Hi guys I need help a lot with this swap,I want to put a 1998 5.7 vortec on my chevy C20 1971,I want to know what is involved there on this proyect, like harness, computer and something like that, also if wiring is to much problem can do it carbured, what do you guys think, is to much work?
Advices will ve very appreciated the engine on my 71 is making some noises inside engine, thank you on advance.any ideas, comentarios are welcome before start the proyect

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The engine drops right in. May need to dick with oil filter adapter, especially if the Vortec is from a 4X4 truck. The Vortec engine will need it's flexplate/flywheel, the '71 unit won't bolt to the crankshaft.

If you're keeping the computer control of timing and fuel, you'll need a higher-pressure fuel pump, and pretty-much the entire engine-compartment wire harness, sensor array, and output devices--EGR, IAC, electronic distributor/module, etc. from the donor truck.

Not sure about catalyst/exhaust, especially in California. I'm thinking the whole emissions system has to match the truck or the engine, whichever is newer. But CA emissions is way beyond my experience.

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
In California you would be doing an "Engine Change" (their term).

As long as the engine is from the same or lighter emissions class, and the engine is the same year or newer than the vehicle you can do it.

You would then take it to a referee who would make sure all the emissions equipment from the donor vehicle was in place and operating. They sign off on it and give you a sticker. From then on is will be tested as the donor vehicle.

At least it used to be that way, but several laws about E.O. legal parts have changed recently.

I recommend going to a referee station and get a copy of the current regulations before turning the first wrench.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that's what I was getting at. Your '71 truck becomes a '98 when it comes to emissions testing; you'd have to have EVERYTHING the '98 had for emission controls including the catalyst(s). If that includes the sealed fuel tank venting/canister/solenoid valves, you're gonna have fun making that all work.

Verify with whoever is in charge of California's lunacy. Or move out of Commiefornia.

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
The Federal Clean Air Act of 1990 goes back to 1963 model year motor vehicles though it is seldom enforced.