swap doors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TICK

Reaction score
HI, just signed in. i got a 1989 z71, and a 1998 k2500, and a 1959 apache also 4wd. i do all my own work, a year ago i built the 700r4 in the 89, as we speek i got the 5 spd tranny in my shop. doin a overhaul out of the 98. i plan to restore the 98 including paint. the 89 is almost new mechaniclly. the paint is shot, and its gonna stay that way. im looking for a doner truck i need tail gate and left door for 98, plus it has crank windows, would like to go electric. does anybody know if the doors from a extended cab will fit a standard cab. all my trucks are standard. so i dont want to by a extnd cab if i cant use the doors.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
So far as I know the front doors on the GMT400 series are all the same. Now the second row doors are different for the Tahoe/Yukon and the suburban, and the club cab doors on the pickups are different yet. That's one of the things that I like about these series of trucks, is the parts interchangeability. Just like the square body trucks.... hope this helps

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The doors changed slightly in the 95 and up to accommodate the newer interior and it used a slightly different door handle that has the same key as the ignition. The 88-94 had a separate door key. The doors will physically go on though, we have an 89 sitting here with a set of 2000 classic doors on it with shells modded to accept the 89 panels.

TAF2003

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So far as I know the front doors on the GMT400 series are all the same. Now the second row doors are different for the Tahoe/Yukon and the suburban, and the club cab doors on the pickups are different yet. That's one of the things that I like about these series of trucks, is the parts interchangeability. Just like the square body trucks.... hope this helps

You mentioned the second row doors on the Tahoe/Yukon. I've been trying to figure out how to remove them. the "spring bar" for lack of better term doesn't look removable like the spring mechanism on the front row of doors. Any hints there?

HotWheelsBurban

Reaction score
You mentioned the second row doors on the Tahoe/Yukon. I've been trying to figure out how to remove them. the "spring bar" for lack of better term doesn't look removable like the spring mechanism on the front row of doors. Any hints there?
I changed the driver's side second door last year ( someone backed into the truck and caved in the door)and all l had to do was knock the hinge pins out.
There are several things that you need to watch out for when you do this job; have a floor jack to support the door (with a rag or towel to protect the paint and door lip), and do the pins one at a time! The upper one is installed from the bottom and the lower one goes in from the top. There's a thin metal retaining clip on each pin, this needs to go on the upper pin or it will fall out! The lower one doesn't need it reinstalled. These clips are available from the auto parts store, they're not real expensive. You'll probably break the clip removing it, so have a new one. I think l used a drift punch to take the pins out. You want to have the weight of the door supported and it would be better to have a helper to move the door to line the holes up. This will help a lot when you reassemble everything. Also be sure to lubricate the pins and bushings and any contact surfaces on the hinges liberally with white lithium grease. You will need a small screwdriver to pop the rubber sleeve that covers the door wiring harness out of the door and the door jamb. Try to be gentle with this because it is easy to poke a hole in it and then the harness could be damaged. There's probably videos on YouTube that show this job, l might have seen them, don't remember. I did this door a couple of years ago and don't recall all the details! Hope this helps you, it's not as hard as my description probably makes it seem.
The hinges are welded to the door and the body, that's why it has to come apart this way. When these trucks were built, this was an easier and more precise way to assemble them on the production line.

HotWheelsBurban

Reaction score
The doors changed slightly in the 95 and up to accommodate the newer interior and it used a slightly different door handle that has the same key as the ignition. The 88-94 had a separate door key. The doors will physically go on though, we have an 89 sitting here with a set of 2000 classic doors on it with shells modded to accept the 89 panels.
Good to know! I was not aware of this difference because both my 400s are 99's. Thanks for the tip!

TechNova

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
the early doors have a recess in them for the interior pull strap. The later do not.
My 89 has the later doors that someone pop riveted the original recess to.

HotWheelsBurban

Reaction score
the early doors have a recess in them for the interior pull strap. The later do not.
My 89 has the later doors that someone pop riveted the original recess to.
Good to know! I never understood why GM didn't have the pull strap on the GMT400 doors. They're about as heavy as the square body doors, so the strap is nice to have so you're not pulling the door handle or armrest

TAF2003

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
How hard was it to reinstall the door with the that spring bar welded to the door hinge ?

This is driver side rear door.

You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk