Suspension Upgrades

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
'Elevated Concepts'.
R&P kit for 400's.
Oh yea!
Not cheap, though.

You must be registered for see images attach

I have had thought of doing this swap, but after bringing my front suspension up to par, it is fine the way it is. It is a cool upgrade though.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Could add a sway bar in the rear. They make a bolt up kit. And maybe get an upgraded stiffer sway bar upfront. I believe there is a manufacturer that calls them a muscle bar.
One of the best things I've done to my trucks.
A rear sway bar off of a C1500 SUV can be added. Although the SUV's have integral mounts on the diff, the method of adding that bar to a non-factory equipped truck is the same as the aftermarket versions.

2 wheel 400's came from the factory with 2 possible different size front sway bars.
The front sway bar on a truck with just the single sway bar is larger than the trucks (SUV's) that were equipped with both front & rear.

Sway bar tech is a science unto itself. Whole books have been written on the subject.
For the average guy, the 2 wheel front bar + the SUV rear will make a vastly noticeable difference. The handling of the vehicle will feel much more cohesive. Both ends of the truck, more attached to each other.
Urethane bushings will help to optimize the bar's performance.
Don't be 'tempted' (Damn! I said 'that' word! The O.G. members will know. Sorry, guys.) to go big on the bars. That is, unless you intend to go running around pylons in a parking lot.
Too big on the front & it won't allow for weight transfer. Some weight transfer is needed in order to plant the outer tires. An overly large front bar will result in oversteer. Turn the wheel & the truck wants to go straight, pushing to outside of the corner.
Too big on the rear & the truck will have a tendency to get tail-happy.
Over stutter bumps, rail road tracks, washboard, etc. the back end will want to come around as it bounces.

Last edited:

MrPink

Bainisteoir Páirteanna
Reaction score
'Elevated Concepts'.
R&P kit for 400's.
Oh yea!
Not cheap, though.

James @Wh4t3v3rs has their mount with the same company's rack but did not buy it as a kit and went with a different set of outer tie rods for cheaper too. I may eventually do this but only if I can go the same route James went, I don't feel like spending $1900 on a rack an pinion setup.

clgodwin79

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
James @Wh4t3v3rs has their mount with the same company's rack but did not buy it as a kit and went with a different set of outer tie rods for cheaper too. I may eventually do this but only if I can go the same route James went, I don't feel like spending $1900 on a rack an pinion setup.
I agree. Crazy expensive, but it would be awesome though!

MrPink

Bainisteoir Páirteanna
Reaction score
I'm going with a redhead gear box and all new steering and suspension parts. I have no need for a r&p. Not for what I will be doing with the truck.