Suspension Upgrades

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

97C1500TJ

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I’ve got a 97 C1500 and I’m wondering what are some upgrades I can do to stiffen the ride up and tighten the steering on my 400? It seems very loose and mushy especially from the rear as far as suspension goes. Even with a new front end with AC Delco Professional and Moog minus a gearbox, my truck still likes to wander and pull. I don’t plan to lift or drop my truck.

The_Family_Tahoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I’ve got a 97 C1500 and I’m wondering what are some upgrades I can do to stiffen the ride up and tighten the steering on my 400? It seems very loose and mushy especially from the rear as far as suspension goes. Even with a new front end with AC Delco Professional and Moog minus a gearbox, my truck still likes to wander and pull. I don’t plan to lift or drop my truck.
Looks like you already replaced quite a bit. I recently replaced my steering box and it solved all the slop in my steering. Input from the wheel is instant. I strongly recommend Redtop. I learned about them from the squarebody forums. They offer a quick ratio for the gmt400 to tighten things up over stock. I'm real happy with the box.
Another thing you might try before a new steering box are monotube shocks. They are a night and day improvement over dual piston shocks.
How are your leafspring bushings? If they go out you'll get a lot of clunking and slop from the rear of the vehicle when cornering.
Lastly, and this is pretty basic, but did you have the truck aligned after the work? A good alignment is absolutely necessary after replacing ball joints, tie rods, and bushings. I didn't know this in high school and ruined a front end rebuild in about 10k miles. After the second rebuild and an alignment it felt like a new truck.

Attachments

• 20211029_095904.jpg
    20211029_095904.jpg
    307.1 KB · Views: 19

97C1500TJ

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Looks like you already replaced quite a bit. I recently replaced my steering box and it solved all the slop in my steering. Input from the wheel is instant. I strongly recommend Redtop. I learned about them from the squarebody forums. They offer a quick ratio for the gmt400 to tighten things up over stock. I'm real happy with the box.
Another thing you might try before a new steering box are monotube shocks. They are a night and day improvement over dual piston shocks.
How are your leafspring bushings? If they go out you'll get a lot of clunking and slop from the rear of the vehicle when cornering.
Lastly, and this is pretty basic, but did you have the truck aligned after the work? A good alignment is absolutely necessary after replacing ball joints, tie rods, and bushings. I didn't know this in high school and ruined a front end rebuild in about 10k miles. After the second rebuild and an alignment it felt like a new truck.
I currently have new dual piston shocks in the front and older ones in the rear. They’re the AC Delco heavy duty shocks. Leaf springs bushings are definitely shot and I’m looking at poly bushings. What do y’all think about that? My truck was aligned a year ago after the work and then I personally put my truck on our Hunter rack at work and checked and adjusted some things.

Last edited:

97C1500TJ

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

97C1500TJ

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Have you replaced the rag joint? This is a rubber coupling that attaches the steering column to the steering shaft. They ware in time, and this leads to steering slack.
I have not. I work with Hondas all day so I’m not familiar with the rag joints. My older truck has one but I thought my 97 would’ve been a U joint.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have not. I work with Hondas all day so I’m not familiar with the rag joints. My older truck has one but I thought my 97 would’ve been a U joint.
No, you have a rag joint, and if it hasn't been replaced, it needs to be. It basically is made out of tire rubber, more or less. These trucks will never feel like rack and pinion steering, but replacing the rag joint will remove a lot of steering wheel slack, or slop out. Here is a pic of mine after I replaced it several years ago. It's just the rubber coupler that wares out. I got mine at AutoZone for maybe $10. You can replace the whole shaft with a new coupler, but really only the rubber disc need to be replaced.

Attachments

• 20160116_143453.jpg
    20160116_143453.jpg
    239.2 KB · Views: 88

97C1500TJ

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
After replacing most of my front end, I also have a metallic clunk of what sounds like the coil spring seating or something. It’s definitely a spring sound.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have had my truck almost 20 years. I have found that single piston shocks ride a lot better that dual position shocks, but we all have our own opinions about what we want out of our trucks.