Suspension Rebuild

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I used to only buy moog and use precision wheel bearings but both are junk now. They have plastic sockets now and didnt before. A moog ball joint lasted 6mo and it replacment lasted a yr, while the Detroit axle one i put on same time is still going 4yr later.

Precision wheel bearings last 4-8 months while again cheap Detroit still going 3yr now.
I didn't know Moog had the plastic cages in them now. I know some other do and the crap that they are.

Dubs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I use 1A Auto for various things. They test all the products before they will sell them. That being said when I did my front end rebuild I went with moog from rockauto. Been about 2 years ago. I haven't put a ton of miles in the 92 so can't answer on how it's holding up. The parts I got from 1A are mostly on the Dodge and holding up very well. Used COP replacements from 1A and working great. Been on about 6mo. I put about 1500 miles a month on the Dodge.

Ben Burrage

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have done this, and learned my lesson! Buy Moog or AC Delco only. AC Delco professional parts to be specific. Cost is very reasonable on RockAuto and Amazon. Do not buy the junk chinese parts on other sites. I also did the energy suspension all poly upgrade, which is well worth it if you are willing to put the time in. Stick with Bilstein shocks. Tons of videos and how too's out there as well. Job is easier than you would think as long as you don't have too much rust underneath.
If you replace your CV axles, go with the HD versions as they have the more durable boots. I used Moog problem solver parts mostly, it's good stuff! And, the Timken hubs are the way to go there. If you unload your torsion bars everything usually comes out and goes back in easier if not replacing LCA parts. When I replaced all my bushings with poly it was almost in perfect alignment when I put it on the rack. Do yourself a favor and put the $$ and time into this project and you won't regret it!

Last edited:

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As said...don't forget the control arm bushings. If you're replacing ball joints AND control arm bushings, it's easier to buy the complete control arm. I did for my K2500, but I installed Polyurethane bushings in my K1500. I had to make four sleeves for the four upper bushings since neither the Energy Suspension nor the Prothane kits come with new upper sleeves. My original upper sleeves were corroded to death. If they're not corroded, they can be reused.

Have you been under the truck to see what is worn-out? You might not need all four tie rod ends, you might not need the idler arm or Pitman arm. No way to know unless you slide under and start rattling stuff around.

While you're in there, look into a permanent rag-joint fix. Sloppy rag joints are epidemic on these trucks.

SteamDonkey

Reaction score
What did you go with? I'm looking to do exactly this.

Question for the group. AC Delco OEM parts are mostly discontinued for the suspension. Are AC Delco Professional parts a reasonable replacement?

My truck is a 2000 K2500. Use case will be mild off-roading, camping, hunting, home improvement duty.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
AC Delco OEM parts are mostly discontinued for the suspension. Are AC Delco Professional parts a reasonable replacement?
Reasonable. Not exceptional.

Problem is, "exceptional" doesn't really exist any more.

My truck is a 2000 K2500. Use case will be mild off-roading, camping, hunting, home improvement duty.
WHICH "K2500"? Six-lug, or eight-lug wheels?

SteamDonkey

Reaction score
Reasonable. Not exceptional.

Problem is, "exceptional" doesn't really exist any more.

WHICH "K2500"? Six-lug, or eight-lug wheels?

8 lug with a semi-float 14 bolt rear. I think in 2000 they were a big of parts bin vehicles for fleet sales. Or it was ordered as a light duty 2500, but with 8 lug wheels.

So then, what's the best of the reasonable suspension replacements? Forums say that Moog isn't "good" anymore. Napa house brand? Dana Spicer? Mevotech? AC Delco?

Dravec

Unashamed 400 addict. Best. Trucks. Ever.
Reaction score
8 lug with a semi-float 14 bolt rear. I think in 2000 they were a big of parts bin vehicles for fleet sales. Or it was ordered as a light duty 2500, but with 8 lug wheels.

So then, what's the best of the reasonable suspension replacements? Forums say that Moog isn't "good" anymore. Napa house brand? Dana Spicer? Mevotech? AC Delco?

I've usually had quite good luck with AutoZone's Duralast house brand stuff, and they now have the "Gold series HD" for ball joints and tie rod ends. Which is what I'm going with. This Friday I'll have my last two ball joints, and will hopefully be rebuilding the control arms this weekend. I will update as soon as I do.

But as stated before, I'm likely biased, as I worked for AutoZone for five years.

Last edited: