Suspension overhaul

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sal09

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Was up everyone!! Got a 96 c1500 and it is dropped. Putting a 4l80 on it but also needs a new suspension all the way around. I’m an electrician and it’s going to be my work truck/ fun on the weekends. Forgot to mention it needs a lift, preferably 4 inch from stock.

Plan on replacing the rear leafs springs 3/1 and some Bilstein 5100 with a 2 inch block (rear end).

In the front some of the control arm bushing are shot and just want to replace the whole front suspension. Would like to get something better than stock. Was also looking into a spindle lift and want to avoid using blocks in the front.

Anyone point me in the right direction or any opinions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sal09

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Was also looking into replacing all the bushings with urethane bushings... another option ....

sal09

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Was also looking into replacing all the bushings with urethane bushings... another option ....

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Was up everyone!! Got a 96 c1500 and it is dropped. Putting a 4l80 on it but also needs a new suspension all the way around. I’m an electrician and it’s going to be my work truck/ fun on the weekends. Forgot to mention it needs a lift, preferably 4 inch from stock.

Plan on replacing the rear leafs springs 3/1 and some Bilstein 5100 with a 2 inch block (rear end).

In the front some of the control arm bushing are shot and just want to replace the whole front suspension. Would like to get something better than stock. Was also looking into a spindle lift and want to avoid using blocks in the front.

Anyone point me in the right direction or any opinions?

I purchased the rough county lift for my 2wd. It came with front lift spindle, new shocks, rear block. And new u bolts. (4"lift btw). Its been fine for the most part but when I got it. The front wheel stood out a bit wider then before and the rear was really narrow. Which bothered me a lot... so I got rear spacers bolted on the rear. When driving in the rain water used to shoot to the glass and sides. So i purchased fender flares which fixed that.. also the truck looks leveled or the rear may be slightly lower. Which also bothers me so I'm saving up for new leafs, and a suspension stabilizer called roadmaster active suspension. It's a divice that helps out with towing heavy loads and also be more stabilizer. Personally I like the rear being higher then the front like how it was stock..

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What is the advantage of lifting a 2wd?

I just this week REMOVED the Prothane polyurethane bushings from my 96 K1500 control arms. They squeak. Sounds like a herd of gut shot crickets in certain temp ranges.

Installed AC Delco bushings. A friend of mine with a 97 Suburban has already removed his Energy Suspension bushings for the same reason, and replaced them with AC Delco’s. He says he can’t tell a difference in the ride between the two. Just so you’re aware of that. Also, pressing those poly bushings in was no easy task.....

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What is the advantage of lifting a 2wd?

I just this week REMOVED the Prothane polyurethane bushings from my 96 K1500 control arms. They squeak. Sounds like a herd of gut shot crickets in certain temp ranges. Installed AC Delco bushings. A friend of mine with a 97 Suburban has already removed his Energy Suspension bushings for the same reason, and replaced them with AC Delco’s. He says he can’t tell a difference in the ride between the two. Just so you’re aware of that. Also, pressing those poly bushings in was no easy task.....

No benefits to my knowledge. Older guys told me everything goes out faster matter of fact. I wanted it for driving in water and also working under it. Gives me more clearance. Also I believe 2wd lifted 4" is equivalent to a 4wd with a 2" lift. So in other words it's not crazy like a 6" or more. I also went in knowing that parts will be replaced. So I rebuilt the whole front end. Drives straight and has very little play in the steering. I did ac delco parts just didnt even bother saving the original uppers and lowers. Faster install btw.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Btw did you use a spring compressor? I bought a brand new one and stupid tool kept slipping. I was using a ratchet too.... anyways finally gave up and just used a jack, hammer, and pry bar.... just curious how that went for you

sal09

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
The lift is mostly for looks and a lil bit of clearance. I mostly want a leveled truck with some decent size tires. When u put in the AC Delhi bushings you also replaced the upper and lower? Did you have to add any blocks for the lift? Or just straight spindle?

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Straight spindle. Tires I chose are 10.5xr15x31 no trimming needed. 32s will fit but I wanted more room between the bumper/air deflector