Supercharged Towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

oldbrown

Reaction score
Has anyone done any towingwith a supercharger on their 350 TBI? I am within trucks towing specs but looking for a little more oomph. I know the Whipple is ideal but no longer available. Anyone running a procharger? Or another brand? Thanks.

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I did alot of towing with a turbo on a LQ4, 435,000 miles on the original bottom end now.

Never had any dealings with TBI and/or Superchargers LOL.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Sparkysikes

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Roots style yes. Centrifugal style no. Turbo oh yeah. If you don't have one yet do a simple turbo. Get a used gm-x turbo as they're self. Contained and are a nice little unit. From there after you know turbos better upgrade... With a roots style you needs a air to water IC. If your moving your cooling at least a bit. If you are going up a steep grade a lot of time get a larger water resivoir and water wetter.

jdla140

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Roots style yes. Centrifugal style no. Turbo oh yeah. If you don't have one yet do a simple turbo. Get a used gm-x turbo as they're self. Contained and are a nice little unit. From there after you know turbos better upgrade... With a roots style you needs a air to water IC. If your moving your cooling at least a bit. If you are going up a steep grade a lot of time get a larger water resivoir and water wetter.

GM-x? Like a 6.5l diesel turbo? that's way too small for even the 6.5, you'd need 4 on a small block

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score

Unfortunately packaging makes it about impossible with a Vortec 454. The Vortec 350 is feasible to plumb in an intercooler, but it already makes so little boost I wonder if it's a little counterproductive. I do have a Kenny Bell 2.9 for a cathedral port with a brick in the intake that I'd love to put on a 6.0. I've even contemplated a stroker to replace the 454 with in the dually, then it's 2.3 could find it's way to the 1500.

low4x4

backyard mechanic
Reaction score
I haven't done any towing yet but I am running a ati-procharger on a modified tbi motor....@18-22lbs of boost ...last dyno was 13#s @512rwhp

low4x4

backyard mechanic
Reaction score
boost is building at 1500 ...maybe as much as 5-7#

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm surprised you can get that much boost out of it at 1500 rpm, generally I hear that prochargers don't build boost well down low. Did you have to swap to a smaller pulley to make it do that?