Sun visors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stratos200xl

Reaction score
Just picked up a 98 4x4 extended cab for dirt cheap. The visors were in the back seat and the original owner said they would not stay up and he just removed them. Any ideas on how to resolve the issue? Says they just flop down when you hit a bump. He had the headliner and visors re-upholstered and the truck is in great shape other than this.

Deathpunch0311

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
IIRC There is a mechanism in there that holds it up. Like a pivot mount.
Your best bet would be hit the junkyard and grab a good pair and replace that mechanism.

@sewlow should be able to help on this question.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
It's a pressure fit between the inner guts of the visor & the long rod (with the 90* bend + the actual mount) that fits inside.
They can be tightened up some but to do that right, the visors have to be stripped down. It's not really worth the effort when they go for cheap @ the wreckers.
The visors without the passenger side vanity mirror are interchangeable side-to-side. So look for a couple of passenger side ones as they always get used way less. But the passenger ones do not have that 2" wide elastic, so if you can live without that...

...and now, The Rant! Lol!

A shop recovered the visors & then charged the former owner for that job when the visors had problems? Not being able to hold themselves in position is a MAJOR fault!
That's not right. ...and if something is not right, then it's wrong! Period.
If they didn't remove the visors from the vehicle, if it was the customer that brought them in, the first 'Q's should of been, "Do they have issues? Do they function properly?"
Even then, while they had them apart, it's part of the job to check & correct. Not doing so is like building a house on a cracked foundation.
Stuff like that ****** me off. Makes the the rest of us in the trade look bad.
Shame on them.

Stratos200xl

Reaction score
Visors was not upholstered. Just the headliner. I installed them today and they are fine. He was talking about them swinging towards the windshield from the unsupported end. Doesn't bother me at all.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Ahhh...O.K. 'That' problem! Lol! They all do that.
Upgrade! Keep an eye open in the wrecker s for the Escalade ones. They have the inner H/L clips to prevent that. Little extend-o panels that slide out of the visor to cover more of the center of the windshield, too.

94burbk1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ahhh...O.K. 'That' problem! Lol! They all do that.
Upgrade! Keep an eye open in the wrecker s for the Escalade ones. They have the inner H/L clips to prevent that. Little extend-o panels that slide out of the visor to cover more of the center of the windshield, too.
Suburban visors have that too!

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Fun fact, those also extend far enough to block the entire top of the side window if you swing the visor that way instead of over the windshield. I always assumed that's what the panels were actually designed for but who knows...

jkeaton

It’s been real
Reaction score
I installed some suburban visors on my 95. They dont exactly fit the roof contour and end up hitting the roof liner when I swing them to the side instead of going all the way to the window.

mars2878

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have the uplevel sunvisors from a 98 suburban in my 99 w/t cclb. they fit perfect. I just snaked in the harness as it would be run normally, notched 2 sm holes for the inner clips. all plug & play