Summit vortec heads

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I thinking of going with this cam. I called Lunati and they said the comp cams 981-16 springs will work fine with it.

You must be registered for see images attach
I have the SUM-151124 heads on my '97 Suburban. (Made by Dart.) Installed them the way they came. The Comp 981 springs are listed as having a spring rate of 373. I also installed an LT4 Hotcam at the same time. Never any problem with this combo. (Bought/installed early 2014, 25K miles on them now.)(The Comp beehive 26915s only have a spring rate of 313, which is also supposed to be OK for roller cams with valve lift numbers like you're talking about.) No idea why Summit has that note saying, "Springs are set up to run hydraulic flat tappet cam."

98k2500

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice. Thanks for letting me know. I didn't want to buy new springs if I didn't have to.

98k2500

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry for all the questions but I'm learning. I emailed Keith at pcmforless. Keith said I will need 36 lb injectors for this cam. I read about the marine intake but are ther any other options?

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Sorry for all the questions but I'm learning. I emailed Keith at pcmforless. Keith said I will need 36 lb injectors for this cam. I read about the marine intake but are ther any other options?
Personal, I like all of the questions. That is how we all learn.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

AUS Injection (and maybe another company? IIRC someone here mentioned someone else that makes these...) now makes upgraded spiders with bigger injectors for the '96+ trucks. You can get them in 36, 48, and 62lb/hr, rated at 43 PSI.

https://www.ausinjector.com/

IMO this is a much easier and cheaper option than the marine intake swap.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If its a 350, will not need more than the stock injectors.

98k2500

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I found the other site.

98k2500

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Before I tore the engine down I did replace the stock poppet spider with an acdelco mpfi. Not sure what injectors are on it. Its just one they recommend replacing the stock poppet spider with .So do you guys think its possible it would work with the lunati cam I mentioned ? Or would it just not run correctly? Just wanted to get your thoughts before I spend more money.