Summit vortec heads

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98k2500

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has any one used these heads and if so what did you think of them?

The description says Springs are set up to run hydraulic flat tappet cam. Would it be OK to use a roller cam with .480 lift?

One review says comps beehive springs won't fit. Anyone know if that's true?

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would get the springs recommended for whatever cam your going to run. Roller cam have faster ramp intensity so whatever springs come with the heads might not not have enough seat pressure/rate. .480 isn't extreme but....

Last edited:

98k2500

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Another question from the noob.I chatted with a Summit rep. The description for these heads says max lift .520 with the springs that come with it. Comps 981-16. In the QAnd A section it says .520 max lift with hydraulic flat tappet.

I asked if the max lift for a hydraulic roller would be the same. The rep said I would need to use different springs and that ..

" Flat tappet and roller springs are totally different and should not be interchanged, used on one or the other"

This dodnt make sense to me so thought I'd see what you all have to say.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
" Flat tappet and roller springs are totally different and should not be interchanged, used on one or the other"

Looks like at least one answer is in the post just prior! Quoting...

I would get the springs recommended for whatever cam your going to run. Roller cam have faster ramp intensity so whatever springs come with the heads might not not have enough seat pressure/rate. .480 isn't extreme but....

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Has any one used these heads and if so what did you think of them?

The description says Springs are set up to run hydraulic flat tappet cam. Would it be OK to use a roller cam with .480 lift?

One review says comps beehive springs won't fit. Anyone know if that's true?
Aren’t those the heads PlayingWithTBI has?

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Aren’t those the heads PlayingWithTBI has?
No, I have the Summit Racing aluminum heads made for the TBI intake bolt pattern, 2.02"/1.60" valves, 62cc chamber for better compression, angled plugs, yada yada yada. Plus they flow better than the Vortec heads,

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, I have the Summit Racing aluminum heads made for the TBI intake bolt pattern, 2.02"/1.60" valves, 62cc chamber for better compression, angled plugs, yada yada yada. Plus they flow better than the Vortec heads,
:drool:

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FWIU roller cams have a more aggressive ramp up and down than the flat tappet ones so, you need a different spring rate. Like suggested, talk to your favorite cam company rep and go with that.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Another question from the noob.I chatted with a Summit rep. The description for these heads says max lift .520 with the springs that come with it. Comps 981-16. In the QAnd A section it says .520 max lift with hydraulic flat tappet.

I asked if the max lift for a hydraulic roller would be the same. The rep said I would need to use different springs and that ..

The total lift/clearance number is only one aspect of a valve spring. You also have seat pressure, open pressure, and spring rates to deal with. There are differences in spring quality and I don't expect high end springs and retainers installed on a budget head. Get the right one for the cam you are going to be running. Roller cams need faster rates than hydraulics.

98k2500

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thinking of going with this cam. I called Lunati and they said the comp cams 981-16 springs will work fine with it.

You must be registered for see images attach