Suburbans: GMT800 2500 vs. GMT900 2500 vs. GMT900 "Fancy" (Denali/Escalade)

Best "Do Everything" Suburban

• GMT800 (2000-2006) 2500 with the 6.0L (12C/16H, estimated)

Votes: 9 52.9%
  • GMT800 (2000-2006) 2500 with the 8.1L (11C/15H, estimated)

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • GMT900 (2007-2013) 2500, only came with the 6.0L (10C/16H)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • GMT900 (2007-2014) Denali XL or Escalade ESV with the 6.2L (13C/18H)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RedneckWithPaychecks

454/350 x (4x4)²
Reaction score
We test drove a 6.0 900 Burban in 2012, drove like a tank but didn’t like the way it was inside. Driving was nice, but the steering wheel is too odd for me. I also drove a flex fuel 6.2 Denali a few times, I liked it a lot, but had the same interior problems as the other one.

I’d go with the 8.1, but fuel mileage is AWFUL. And they drink oil, there is a fix for it somewhere. I have a 5.3 Tahoe and inside it’s easy to hop into but your mileage there may vary.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I'd go for the 900 since it won't see rust. I liked the interior, the 6.2 rips, and I've heard nothing bad about the GenIV 6.0. I've also heard the 4L80 is stronger than the 6 speeds, but don't know that they're problematic? Thought that was confined to the 8 speeds. That said, I've never bought either or lived with them. Certain stuff keeps getting flimsier and more failure prone on newer cars.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
I'd go for the 900 since it won't see rust. I liked the interior, the 6.2 rips, and I've heard nothing bad about the GenIV 6.0. I've also heard the 4L80 is stronger than the 6 speeds, but don't know that they're problematic? Thought that was confined to the 8 speeds. That said, I've never bought either or lived with them. Certain stuff keeps getting flimsier and more failure prone on newer cars.
That last sentence is why I don't want anything newer without an extended warranty....

yevgenievich

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I drove gmt900 1/2 ton cross country once as well, and the constant shifting at highway speed was a bit annoying. I ended up just not using cruise control unless road was truly flat. Was 5.3 with a6 and fully loaded. Imagine with 6.0 it would do better hopefully

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I drove gmt900 1/2 ton cross country once as well, and the constant shifting at highway speed was a bit annoying. I ended up just not using cruise control unless road was truly flat. Was 5.3 with a6 and fully loaded. Imagine with 6.0 it would do better hopefully

A 5.3 in a Burb can just suck a fat one. That motor has no place in that much truck. Even the wife question's its placement in her Envoy and that's the big motor for that platform.

CTX-SLPR

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So the plan is to drive a GMT900 Suburban 1500 on Saturday to see what the basics of the interior and what the bottom end of the range as far as power goes feels like. If we like it we’ll keep them on the list as there are more lower mileage (though definitely Ex-fleet of some kind generally) GMT900 2500’s and Denalis around than low mileage GMT800s. We’ll try a GMT800 later in the week to see how we like it but I expect better as I liked my old 99 RCLB Z71 and all the pictures make them look more like a product improved version of my 98 vs. the GMT900s are a bit of a departure.

Specific question for GMT900s. It looks like the 3rd row is a lot easier to remove but how is the leg room? The GMT400 is passable for an adult even over a few hours. It looks like the GMT800 is pretty similar. GMT900 looks like it’s a bit tighter back there.

DonYukon

Dont stop until it sounds expensive
Reaction score
Anything with an 8.1 and 4wd isn't going to get double digit mileage, and I don't care how you drive it.

This. I had to drive a friends 8.1 from NC to GA and back and ON THE HIGHWAY I averaged 11 MPG..... THE HIGHWAY HIIIIIIGGGGGHHHHWAAAAYYYY

I know that seemed a bit much but you know what wasnt much? That Burbs Gas mileage lol. I loved to drive it but I wouldnt want to foot the gas bill

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
So the plan is to drive a GMT900 Suburban 1500 on Saturday to see what the basics of the interior and what the bottom end of the range as far as power goes feels like. If we like it we’ll keep them on the list as there are more lower mileage (though definitely Ex-fleet of some kind generally) GMT900 2500’s and Denalis around than low mileage GMT800s. We’ll try a GMT800 later in the week to see how we like it but I expect better as I liked my old 99 RCLB Z71 and all the pictures make them look more like a product improved version of my 98 vs. the GMT900s are a bit of a departure.

Specific question for GMT900s. It looks like the 3rd row is a lot easier to remove but how is the leg room? The GMT400 is passable for an adult even over a few hours. It looks like the GMT800 is pretty similar. GMT900 looks like it’s a bit tighter back there.
The only one I ever rode in was a 2007 Denali Yukon XL, with the second row buckets. Decent amount of room, and one of my friends rode in third row seat and was comfortable. Five of us went from Houston to Lake Charles, Louisiana and back, towing a trailer full of model kits, in January s2008. The owner of the Denali had only had it a few months,they mainly used it for road trips and shows. Hauled the trailer and us down I-10, faster than we should have been going (it had been raining earlier and this was before the interstate got repaved a few years ago). They replaced the truck in 2018, after the third transmission replacement.

xXxPARAGONxXx

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Then at around 170K the oil pressure started acting up. I think the screen on the sensor is clogged, because it does it on startup after sitting a while ( like overnight,or parked for many hours).
Consider the oil pick-up tube O-ring. Common problem on many LS engines.

O-ring thickness will increase once engine oil temperature increases, so your issue would only present itself when the engine is cold.

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A 5.3 in a Burb can just suck a fat one. That motor has no place in that much truck. Even the wife question's its placement in her Envoy and that's the big motor for that platform.
Not apples to apples but the 2010 3500"HD" 6.0 wrecker I drove sucked a fat one, too. Felt quick unloaded (mind you heavy wrecker bed) but load it with anything and it felt like you were driving backwards. Since OP tows occasionally.. I dunno if I could vote for a 6.0

I mean.. I really overworked that poor truck, it did more than it should have, but only because I knew how to persuade it IMO. Check that front wheel fender gap.. that's a Ford PSD on the hook, not light at all, totally overloaded

You must be registered for see images attach

Richard