Suburban storage compartment subwoofer.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Martin Evans

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey all,

Looking for a little extra boom boom in my 99 k2500 suburban. I’d rather not lose cargo space or the ability to fold the seats down. I was wondering if anyone tried to stuff a subwoofer in the storage compartment in the rear passenger side. I think I can get one of those compact under-seat subs in there on its side. I don’t know much about them so idk if it’d be noticeable. The other option would be a subwoofer tube set up. Just curious if anyone has tried this with any success or has any input. Thanks
If you are considering getting an under seat compact subwoofer with a built-in amp, why not just put it under your seat? Otherwise, you should be able to put something in there. You might want to custom build a speaker box. I don't know how much space is in that storage area, but kind of a general rule of thumb for sealed boxes(which typically are the smallest box for any given speaker size) is an 8" sub needs about .5 cubic feet, a 10" needs about .75 cubic feet and a 12" needs about 1 to 1.25 cubic feet. If you remove the carpet from the cover, you could cut out an opening in the plastic, place some sort of grille over the opening and then replace the carpet. That would leave it stock looking. You should be able to mount an amp under one of your front seats.

RatFink

Reaction score
Well guys, I was able to bring my idea to life. My whole goal was to keep everything hidden . The Kicker 46TL7T02 sealed enclosure fits nicely in the rear storage compartment. I went with a Rockford Fosgate R2500x1 Prime 1-channel amp that I tucked under the back seat with a planet audio capacitor so I wasn't stealing too much power considering my 100 amp alternator.

You must be registered for see images attach

In the doors I went with an Alpine component set up, I'll probably paint the speaker grilles tan to match eventually but all in all I am very pleased with how it all turned out.

I also installed some LED lights in the grille hooked to a OEM switch.

RatFink

Reaction score
It sounds great! Bass hits hard and the components are clean and crisp. I'm very happy with the set up. The door rattles a little but I've had it off for the most part. I'm thinking some foam tape around the perimeter will silence it.

RatFink

Reaction score
Head Unit is Kenwood KMM-BT332U
Front Door speakers are the Alpine SPS-610C 6-1/2" Component
Rear Deck speakers are the Cerwin Vega H7410 4" x 10" (Put these in when I first got the truck, Just went with what was available.)