Suburban roof rack

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

herkyhawki

Reaction score
spotted a 97 suburban for sale that has no roof rack.
If this came from factory without rack, would it have the mounting provisions like tapped holes to add a rack later? It is base model, almost like "work truck" options. Nothing fancy.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Very doubtful that it came from the factory without a rack. I'm pretty sure the police package Tahoes were the only GMT400 SUVs that had the option for a factory roof rack delete.

More likely that a previous owner has removed the rack and covered the holes in the roof in some manner. Depending on how they did that, you may be able to uncover them and reinstall a factory rack.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
I know in the square body era you could get a Burb without a roof rack(my '90 didn't have one, nor did it have a third row seat). It may have been possible on a 400 Burb, but if so they're pretty rare....

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Interesting... I didn't even know you could get a 400 'burb with no rack from the factory.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Interesting... I didn't even know you could get a 400 'burb with no rack from the factory.
I don't think it's common on the square Burb either. I've only seen a couple besides mine, that came without a roof rack....

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes I've seen 400s without roofracks. Base model suburbans. They were bench seats front and middle, regular fm/am radio, manual windows, vinyl flooring and no 3rd row on most. Oh and no rear ac