Suburban mystery module in jack compartment?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, I'd have to do something different....
It was there when I bought the truck and while it isn't the prettiest of things it does at least do what is needed namely, let me see the rear driver's side wheel in relation to a foot high wall that I have to reverse parallel with into a narrowing gap with the busy A-road on the other side to see past the house for traffic just to leave the house. Kinda stuck with it.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was there when I bought the truck and while it isn't the prettiest of things it does at least do what is needed namely, let me see the rear driver's side wheel in relation to a foot high wall that I have to reverse parallel with into a narrowing gap with the busy A-road on the other side to see past the house for traffic just to leave the house. Kinda stuck with it.
A nice little low profile LED light bar would probably do the same...
I appreciate that it's functional, and it's not horrible, but it interrupts the flow of the vehicle for me.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A nice little low profile LED light bar would probably do the same...
I appreciate that it's functional, and it's not horrible, but it interrupts the flow of the vehicle for me.
I'll consider that - for the fog light also. Get a matching pair. I've just got delivered today a pair of stainless steel turn-downs to replace the rusted chrome trims that are currently on the pipes so the rear is going to be getting my attention. Not before the front wheel bearings though - which the weather today is thwarting my plan of replacing.

Cap603

Reaction score
I have a 99 K1500 just checked. Lo and behold, I also have one. I have no idea what it could be for and never do said that before your post. Thanks. Since the truck seems happy, I will leave well enough alone.

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Nice find! I was thinking "relay" until I saw the PCB inside... that's a lot of circuitry just to trigger a solenoid. Wonder what all is going on inside that module.
Possibly some kind of timer circuit, because if you just "pulse" a lock actuator, that's not enough juice to consistently operate it. Needs a little bit more juice.

BTW the early 2-door trucks have no relays in the power locks, just straight wired. Early Suburbans were the first to get a relay for the power locks; it's a wide double-relay unit that sits under the dash just above the transmission hump.

Richard