Suburban mystery module in jack compartment?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Anyone any idea what it is or what it's for?
It's a small - circa 2'' x 2'' x 3/4'' - box stuck to the side in the front section of the jack compartment (just below the seatbelt reel) with a bunch of wires coming out (or in!) to it. What's it for?

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It is remote from the seatbelt though and they (the rear ones at least) aren't monitored in any way.
Where is the receiver for the central (keyless) locking located? Could it be that?

Dravec

Unashamed 400 addict. Best. Trucks. Ever.
Reaction score
It is remote from the seatbelt though and they (the rear ones at least) aren't monitored in any way.
Where is the receiver for the central (keyless) locking located? Could it be that?
RKE receiver should be under the dash. As far as I'm aware, there shouldn't be any electronics in the jack compartment? I'll double check my old girl when I get home.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is perhaps a LoJack?

I found one of them in a 1995 Blazer I had bought used back around 2003. The transmitter was squirreled-away in one spot and the battery not far away, wired to it. There were other wires to the unit as well, but I don't have the details. I pitched that thing as far as I could throw it.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
My car in Japan had seatbelt actuators that were fired with the airbags. They were one and done in a wreck. I figured that out when I got wrecked into.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just had another look at it. It appears to have a flip lid (like a cigarette 20 pack) which doesn't want to budge and its harness feeds into the harness that runs up the C pillar. The way it is mounted implies factory fit - into a hole with what must be a door card type fitting. Mine has a wrap of insulation tape around it that makes it look very non-GM. It has around half a dozen wires connecting it.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Any identifiable markings? Part number or anything similar?

I can check my 'burb later today if you haven't found an answer yet, I don't recall anything like what you're describing off the top of my head though.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Any identifiable markings? Part number or anything similar?
Nope. Unless under the sticky tape.
I can check my 'burb later today if you haven't found an answer yet, I don't recall anything like what you're describing off the top of my head though.
Honestly, it's not so important. Just my curiosity bugging me.