Suburban down.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I've noticed that a lot of brass fittings have a maximum temperature that's less than what I'd want in my cooling system. I bought a nice brass fitting at Menard's and noticed the low spec, and emailed the company asking about it, since my pressure would be super low. They said that they stand by their rating, so I didn't use it..... of course, I was probably talking to a customer service person giving a standard answer and not an engineer.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've noticed that a lot of brass fittings have a maximum temperature that's less than what I'd want in my cooling system. I bought a nice brass fitting at Menard's and noticed the low spec, and emailed the company asking about it, since my pressure would be super low. They said that they stand by their rating, so I didn't use it..... of course, I was probably talking to a customer service person giving a standard answer and not an engineer.

Didnt think about that but I've soldered on brass fittings before

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Didnt think about that but I've soldered on brass fittings before

I think the rated temp was right about normal coolant temperature, but that gives no room for an overheating condition. If the fitting is splitting/connecting a hose away from the engine, it would probably be fine, since the temp would be a bit less, but I was wanting a fitting to screw into the waterpump, so it would get blasted with the full temperature..... still might be fine, but I wanted to play it a bit safer.

R422b

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think the rated temp was right about normal coolant temperature, but that gives no room for an overheating condition. If the fitting is splitting/connecting a hose away from the engine, it would probably be fine, since the temp would be a bit less, but I was wanting a fitting to screw into the waterpump, so it would get blasted with the full temperature..... still might be fine, but I wanted to play it a bit safer.
Cast iron has better fatigue resistance anyway especially if you go to a real pro plumbing store and get the expensive ones. I think they might be forged.

Talking about GMT400s using Tapatalk
"Is this before or after you fired the parts cannon at it?" - Supercharged111

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Cast iron has better fatigue resistance anyway especially if you go to a real pro plumbing store and get the expensive ones. I think they might be forged.

I was shopping for a hose barb..... 1/2" pipe thread on one end, and 3/4" or 5/8" barb on the other. I've never seen anything like that in iron. The only iron fittings I've seen had an iron clamp on them, and were for reinforced hose from an old steam Jenny.... they were big bulky and completely overkill for automotive.

R422b

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I was shopping for a hose barb..... 1/2" pipe thread on one end, and 3/4" or 5/8" barb on the other. I've never seen anything like that in iron. The only iron fittings I've seen had an iron clamp on them, and were for reinforced hose from an old steam Jenny.... they were big bulky and completely overkill for automotive.
Yeah that might be hard to find. [emoji16]

Talking about GMT400s using Tapatalk
"Is this before or after you fired the parts cannon at it?" - Supercharged111