Suburban auxiliary tank in a CCLB.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EliandBessy

Reaction score
Has anyone tried using a suburban tank as an auxiliary/secondary tank on a long bed truck? I’ve seatched the forum and see many people saying it’s possible but haven’t seen a write up of it being done. I like the of having 70 gallons on me when my 454 is getting 8mpg while towing.

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
I have done it in the past. It requires the rear tank crossmembers, straps and a switching valve along with some wiring harness mods. it is not to awfully hard just takes a bit of time and some patience

Stephen

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I considered doing that on my 96 CC LB srw but the cats and exhaust are in the way. They go down the frame rail on the inside on the passenger side. No where to put it except on the outside of the frame rail.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Only thing keeping me from doing it is not having a place to put the spare when the camper is loaded. The idea that I've had floating in my head now for some time is to put a pair of porkchop tanks in the bed in front of the fenders. Filling it is another challenge altogether, a transfer pump plumbed to the main tank would be the first thing I'd try. The charcoal can says it's good for 100 gallons, so no problems there.

Sparkysikes

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Super I had those in my 70 C20. Behind the bench seat and those 2x 17 gallon? tanks. Just plum a line from the bottom of the saddle tank to the main and let equallization take care of the rest. The 70's used a 3 position switch next to drive seat that was just a diverter valve and gravity did the rest.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I'm thinking of keeping them in the bed, off to the side in front of the fenders. Maybe even extending back over the fenders. Trouble would be filling them with the camper loaded. I figured for feeding the main tank I'd just have an inline valve that opens to gravity feed, never thought of using square body hardware for plumbing though that may be the ticket.

lxe4

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was dreaming of that kind of setup at one time. figured out i needed to swap in/find the crossmembers. Figured I would use something like the square body electric selector valve and use a second proper fuel pump. Main thought was getting as much cheap american fuel over the border as possible when given the opportunity, and second was a redundant fuel pump cuz as we all know, they work right up till they dont and then... it sucks.