Suburban 454 / 7.4 Exhaust Options in 2015

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SubLo

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey folks! I'm back with yet another project. Recently purchased a clean 1997 Burb 3/4-ton in white/tan. This is my FOURTH Suburban (88 3/4 ton, 97 1/2 ton, 96 3/4 ton diesel). I guess I love 'em. I could have bought anything else but these are my favorite body style.

Anyway, way back in the day, I had a Gale Banks system (headers + full exhaust) for my 1/2 ton 5.7 and absolutely adored it. Unfortunately, GMT400's now being 15 years old at best, I can't find anyone who still sells a cat-back or full-exhaust. I need one desperately as there is an exhaust leak (due to rust) right before my first catalytic converter. I've scoured the webz for days looking for Maganaflow, Banks, Gibson and Borla systems - all of whom produced an OOB system for my truck back in the day. I've even written to these companies recently asking them directly. That has not been effective unfortunately.

Does anyone know of any supplier who might have an exhaust to sell for my truck? I'm dreading spending $1,000 or more for a custom stainless job from local shops.

Thanks.

-Freddy

SmittySS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey there! I'm looking for the same thing.
Just bought a 1996 K2500 Suburban with the 7.4L. It as all of the original exhaust on it. The muffler has a small hole in it, it hasn't gotten loud yet just has that exhaust leak sound...
I was surprised to see that there wasn't any cat-back systems out there... and haven't found headers yet.
I look forward to see what others have found.
Be blessed!
Smitty.

TrailBlazerZ71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Summit Racing has headers for the '96 K2500 with the 7.4. Surprised that I can't find a cat- back for it..

Sent from my Vortec-powered Droid Turbo using Tapatalk

Mangonesailor

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I haven't found any cat-back systems myself. Banks, gibson, all those are small-block only. I unfortunately have to have mine built too and in the end, is going to cost me $1400...

If it were me, I'd just have a shop build a system. The place I'm going to be using said $700-800 for 2.5", true duals with H-pipe, catless, with flowmaster HP2s, with tips. If I had gone 3" it would've been $1k. This is from my headers back to the rear bumper. He's also pricey, but does damn good work.

SubLo

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well, I think my options are either 1) 100% custom [very pricey] as mentioned or 2) Hybrid [pricey but a bit less so]. I have the SSDiesel stainless cat-back on my K2500 6.5 Diesel and it is awesome. The muffler is a straight-through design but miraculously not as obnoxiously loud as a Flowmaster 40 or glasspack (IMO). It's a 4" design throughout. I contacted their sales dept and asked if they could sell me the cat-back or "muffler back." They said yes. Although it's not cheap at $399 v. their system with the downpipe at $499. The issue is that I have to combine this with the stainless downpipe/catalytic pieces still available from Magnaflow on Amazon. Those pieces are mega bucks! The front cat #95470 with the downpipes is $410. The back piece #95471 is $377. Might be worth it to just go full custom for the combo price of nearly $1200 just for parts. Not what I was looking forward to.

Jorge6.5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Did you come up with a plan to replace your exhaust yet?

I'm looking to replace my exhaust on my vortec 454 due to cats blowing out and small leaks.
Just curious what's out there

Elroy

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
i have a 96 2500 4x4 7.4 sub, looking at buying " front cat #95470 with the downpipes is $410. The back piece #95471 is $377." hottexhaust has a 25% sale on these right now, so about $600 for both parts, has anyone here bought these? any thoughts? looking for easy install and better flow, will use black bear performance computer

5vortec7

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After shopping around and reading this thread I’m beginning to think this is one of the reasons the PO of my suburban decided to sell it. Occasional rattling from my cats, a O2 sensor code the same day it hit 205k miles, and it sounds/feels like it’s choking above 3k rpm. Don’t think I’ll have a choice before the summers over, anyone put something together?

BowtieBrody

Jesus Murphy!
Reaction score
After shopping around and reading this thread I’m beginning to think this is one of the reasons the PO of my suburban decided to sell it. Occasional rattling from my cats, a O2 sensor code the same day it hit 205k miles, and it sounds/feels like it’s choking above 3k rpm. Don’t think I’ll have a choice before the summers over, anyone put something together?

If it were me and I had a little money to burn, I'd get a Black Bear tuned PCM with the EGR and CATs deleted, Hedman or Gibson shorties to a single 3" pipe through a high flow cat of some sort, and the either run it 3" single out the back or do a single in/dual out muffler with 2 1/2 inch or 3 inch tail pipes.

I don't know what prices are for your local exhaust shop, but if I were to go this route for my truck it would be around $500-$600 for a system like I described from the muffler shop I go to.