Suburban 2500 tire size question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ben Battles

Reaction score
Hello all, first post here, and apologies if this subject has been beaten to death. I just purchased a '94 K2500 Suburban in the Chicago area and the wife and I are flying in from NH to drive it home next week. My plan for this rig when I get it home was 285/75 16 tires with a slight torsion bar crank & subsequent alignment, but the problem is that the 265's currently on it have some weather cracking and I don't trust them for the 17-hour trip home, so I'm going to have them replaced at one of the nearby 4 Wheel Parts stores in IL. So, my question is: will the 285's work for the ride home with the stock ride height? The truck only has 73K original miles and it doesn't appear to be sagging up front at all. Any guidance would be hugely appreciated!

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Same here, my '98 Suburban 2500 with 285's fit at OE ride height. No torsion bar crank needed.

Of course when I put on my Western plow I did end up cranking higher, but just for carrying the plow.

Your OE tire should be a 245, correct? Bear in mind the extra tire will translate to an inaccurate Speedometer. Just keep that in mind on the highway.

Throw them on

Ben Battles

Reaction score
Same here, my '98 Suburban 2500 with 285's fit at OE ride height. No torsion bar crank needed.

Of course when I put on my Western plow I did end up cranking higher, but just for carrying the plow.

Your OE tire should be a 245, correct? Bear in mind the extra tire will translate to an inaccurate Speedometer. Just keep that in mind on the highway.

Throw them on
Perfect, thanks for the info!

DDTurbo

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the 265/75-16 BFG's on our K2500.
The 265's were factory offered as an option and do fit in the spare tire wheel well with the stock cover.
The 285's would be stretching the cover and I am not sure they would fit in the spare tire location.
Just sayin'.

Attachments

• IMG_2900 C.JPG
    IMG_2900 C.JPG
    37.7 KB · Views: 32