Stumped by this engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Didn't they offer the 8.1 on later 3500HDs? Could be one of those.

Yes, but not until 2001. I suppose there could be a truck out there titled as a 2000 with an 8.1L, but that wouln't be typical. If this truck is a 4x4 3500HD it went through a conversion company, and I wonder if that could change what the title says.

kewljay223

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know the OBS bodies were produced until 2002 on some models. I have read through the wikipedia on the gmt400's many times and i just did a quick search through it again for you. Here is a quote for the 3500 HD's...

Engines 2001–2002[edit]
While all other C/K pickup models were dropped by 2000, the C3500 HD was produced until 2002 due to fleet demand. In the brochures it is referred to as Sierra Classic/Silverado Classic. There were two engine choices: the 8.1 L Vortec V8 replaced the Gen VI 7.4 L Vortec, while the venerable 6.5 L Turbo Diesel continued.

so im betting its the 8.1L. Here is another quote....

Other important differences between the Vortec 8100 and older Big Blocks include a changed firing order (1-8-7-2-6-5-4-3), a new 18-bolt head bolt pattern, longer connecting rods, different symmetrical intake ports, different oil pan rails and the use of metric threads throughout the engine. The fuel-injection system for the Vortec 8100 is nearly identical to that used on Gen III engines, right down to the fuel and spark tables in the ECU.[29]

I have one of these beasts in my 25' boat with obvious differences but it does have multi port injection. Pretty sure this is the motor you are seeing. Check these links below.

http://www.duramaxhub.com/gas/gm-8.1-vortec-l18.html

http://www.hcdmag.com/81l-vortec-engine/

kewljay223

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, but not until 2001. I suppose there could be a truck out there titled as a 2000 with an 8.1L, but that wouln't be typical. If this truck is a 4x4 3500HD it went through a conversion company, and I wonder if that could change what the title says.

I believe you are correct about it not being offered until 01 but GM has always seemed to mix and match stuff during changeover years. So if it was a late production 2000, I could see that it's POSSIBLE they stuffed that motor in there.... If the OP could verify the motor matches the picture in the link I posted then we might have the answer.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I know the OBS bodies were produced until 2002 on some models. I have read through the wikipedia on the gmt400's many times and i just did a quick search through it again for you. Here is a quote for the 3500 HD's...

Engines 2001–2002[edit]
While all other C/K pickup models were dropped by 2000, the C3500 HD was produced until 2002 due to fleet demand. In the brochures it is referred to as Sierra Classic/Silverado Classic. There were two engine choices: the 8.1 L Vortec V8 replaced the Gen VI 7.4 L Vortec, while the venerable 6.5 L Turbo Diesel continued.

Wikipedia is often wrong when it comes to stuff like this. I don't think the 3500HD was ever referred to as a Sierra/Silverado Classic. I'm pretty sure that was only the light duty pickups. My 99 1-ton is not a Silverado trim level for instance, it's an LS trim level... same thing physically except the badges, because the Silverado was the new Model name for the Chevy trucks.

Also, I don't think the 3500HD was ever a C3500HD, just 3500HD.... I believe Richard has stated that someplace.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I believe you are correct about it not being offered until 01 but GM has always seemed to mix and match stuff during changeover years. So if it was a late production 2000, I could see that it's POSSIBLE they stuffed that motor in there.... If the OP could verify the motor matches the picture in the link I posted then we might have the answer.

I'd like him to post pictures... if it's an HD, those didn't leave GM as a pickup (no bed) and they were all 2wd, so it sounds like this it went to one of the 3 (or 4) conversion companies. I'm also curious what the adjustable part is... I'm guessing it's the added frame braces on the HD chassis that are confusing the owner.

[email protected]

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The truck was not a swao it is a 5.3 ls (just chevked the build sheet.
Yes they did offer an 8.1
Take Care
Skip

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Next time you're stumped post pics or VIN. You were looking at a run of the mill GMT800 2000 Silverado 2500 or 3500 with the stock 5.3 engine..

Richard

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Wikipedia is often wrong when it comes to stuff like this. I don't think the 3500HD was ever referred to as a Sierra/Silverado Classic. I'm pretty sure that was only the light duty pickups. My 99 1-ton is not a Silverado trim level for instance, it's an LS trim level... same thing physically except the badges, because the Silverado was the new Model name for the Chevy trucks.

Also, I don't think the 3500HD was ever a C3500HD, just 3500HD.... I believe Richard has stated that someplace.
Yes, wikipedia is full of errors and omissions on pretty much any subject, and the trucks we love are not immune. :D It's still pretty useful though, but when we start splitting hairs and dorking out over did GM ever do this / they never did that type debates, wiki isn't a reliable authority. Problem is, you try to correct it, and regardless of your sources or if you're undeniably correct, some "expert" gonna come along and cancel out your edits. Let 'em be wrong. I have other stuff to do..

Richard

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Didn't they offer the 8.1 on later 3500HDs? Could be one of those.
8.1 came out in 01. You could get a GMT400 based C3500HD with an 8.1 in 2001 and 2002. The L21 was also a 454 with coil packs and drive by wire.