stuff that catches my eye

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I paid $3000 for my C1500 Burb L31, in 2013, had 130K on the clock. If I had to replace it, would probably cost what I paid for Rawhide....
Your Dad sounds like mine; if he was still around, he'd probably be telling me how I got reamed on the crew cab. On the other hand, he always wanted a square body CCLB (we almost bought one in Bastrop, coming home from Austin!).

Well, then I guess now is a good time to admit that I think I could have paid just a little less for my RCSB... but this was also after looking it over and knowing how much work it needed. The seller wanted $1500 and I about paid the whole damn thing. If necessary, I can go through any receipts I've saved, add it all up, and then shake my head in disgust because it's still not on the road.

HeavyAsAChevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I paid $3000 for my C1500 Burb L31, in 2013, had 130K on the clock. If I had to replace it, would probably cost what I paid for Rawhide....
Your Dad sounds like mine; if he was still around, he'd probably be telling me how I got reamed on the crew cab. On the other hand, he always wanted a square body CCLB (we almost bought one in Bastrop, coming home from Austin!).
He told me to offer him $2k instead of $2700. I just shook my head and did what he said. My dad hasn’t bought a car like this in 10years and doesn’t understand how much cars cost these days. I actually had a dream about it last night and woke up kinda at peace with it. Still sad I didn’t get it. The seats were nice and the engine and trans worked perfectly.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
IDK how old he is but I remember when I was sub-21 I still took my dads advice as gold (99% for the good). I passed up on multiple bikes/cars/trucks in that 16-21 year old period when my own money was going to be spent. Nothing against him for taking Pop's advice if he saw something wrong.

Even later in life when I was shopping for a house, my old man was always with me during showings and I passed up on houses that I would have otherwise bought and regretted because he advised me to walk away.

EDIT to add another story. My first Harley Davidson I walked away from after driving 5 hrs each way with my old man to look at it (and presumably buy it). I was 19years old at the time and have had other bikes since I was 12 and my Dad has always had a Harley, So I thought this was a done deal. But the bike was a bank repossession so the loan lady didnt know anything about it when we got there. It's a 1972 kick-start only Ironhead with an old 45deg frame rake and 12-over front end. Long story short, he talked me out of buying it that day and we drove back home with me feeling like crap for a few days for passing it up. A month goes by and the bank lady called me back and asked if I was still interested, I was and told her I could only give her 1/2 of what she was asking. She said if I could pick it up within a week it was mine. I immediately called up my Dad and got his blessing and I still have that bike today and its one of a select few vehicles that I will never sell. Everything that was wrong with it when we first looked at it was easy fixes.

Last edited:

drewcrew

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
IDK how old he is but I remember when I was sub-21 I still took my dads advice as gold (99% for the good). I passed up on multiple bikes/cars/trucks in that 16-21 year old period when my own money was going to be spent. Nothing against him for taking Pop's advice if he saw something wrong.

Even later in life when I was shopping for a house, my old man was always with me during showings and I passed up on houses that I would have otherwise bought and regretted because he advised me to walk away.

EDIT to add another story. My first Harley Davidson I walked away from after driving 5 hrs each way with my old man to look at it (and presumably buy it). I was 19years old at the time and have had other bikes since I was 12 and my Dad has always had a Harley, So I thought this was a done deal. But the bike was a bank repossession so the loan lady didnt know anything about it when we got there. It's a 1972 kick-start only Ironhead with an old 45deg frame rake and 12-over front end. Long story short, he talked me out of buying it that day and we drove back home with me feeling like crap for a few days for passing it up. A month goes by and the bank lady called me back and asked if I was still interested, I was and told her I could only give her 1/2 of what she was asking. She said if I could pick it up within a week it was mine. I immediately called up my Dad and got his blessing and I still have that bike today and its one of a select few vehicles that I will never sell. Everything that was wrong with it when we first looked at it was easy

EDIT to add another story. My first Harley Davidson I walked away from after driving 5 hrs each way with my old man to look at it (and presumably buy it). I was 19years old at the time and have had other bikes since I was 12 and my Dad has always had a Harley, So I thought this was a done deal. But the bike was a bank repossession so the loan lady didnt know anything about it when we got there. It's a 1972 kick-start only Ironhead with an old 45deg frame rake and 12-over front end. Long story short, he talked me out of buying it that day and we drove back home with me feeling like crap for a few days for passing it up. A month goes by and the bank lady called me back and asked if I was still interested, I was and told her I could only give her 1/2 of what she was asking. She said if I could pick it up within a week it was mine. I immediately called up my Dad and got his blessing and I still have that bike today and its one of a select few vehicles that I will never sell. Everything that was wrong with it when we first looked at it was easy fixes.
Is it an XLCH ?

HeavyAsAChevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Am I understanding this correctly? Unless your Dad was the one with the money, why not bid a little higher and buy the truck? Sorry if it's too intrusive of a question.
It was my money. But I live in my dads house, work on my vehicle in my dads driveway, park them in front of the house, I’m on his insurance policy, etc. My dad is not a risk taker and HATES taking the chance to loose money. I think he was wrong, but I’m not mad at him for his decision and it was one of those days where he wasn’t in the greatest of moods, so arguing with him wasn’t a good option.

Intragration

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
There's always another vehicle that's better, cheaper, faster, whatever you're looking for. If you find something you like and you don't end up buying it, don't regret it, everything happens for a reason. Just keep an eye out for a better one. When I was younger, my dad was very similar to yours Heavy, he would talk me out of buying about 90% of the vehicles I liked. It made me mad at the time, but I went along with it. Come to find out, he's a wise man, wiser than I gave him credit for at the time, and most of the time, I think he saved me a lot of headaches. Funny turn of events, 30 years later, now HE asks MY advice on big purchases. He trusts me, because he knows I learned from the best. :) AND, every vehicle I can remember him steering me away from back then? Today I can say that he was right ha ha.