Stuck in 2nd or 3rd gear, reverse working great

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

carlos2012

Reaction score
My 93 Sierra is still having some issues that need to be addressed. Right now, my concern is the transmission. When you put it in drive, it will not creep forward, and it doesn't appear to be shifting as I have to floor it to get it up to speed. Reverse works great, however as a gentle tap of the throttle will get the truck moving. The brakes are no longer stuck, and the transmission fluid level appears to be good. What would be some causes of this issue?

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Having no electrical power to the transmission will make it so that 3rd gear is the only forward gear available. Driving it on the highway will confirm this, as it will never change gears. I'm not sure about 93, but the 94 and later trucks will have no shift indicator on the gauge panel if the transmission is without power. If this turns out to be the case, check fuses. If all are good, check for power at the transmission harness on the case.