Struggling with replacing power steering pump - EVO sensor - 97 Sierra 4.3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I found just the opposite. A normal pump is light ALL the time like any older GM, where the EVO is heavy at highway speeds. I can steer GMs without EVO with 1 finger.

Interesting.

Well, I should perhaps give my point of reference.

I had the EVO on my 1998 Suburban.

I removed the EVO and installed the GM-sanctioned "kit" as a replacement for the EVO, consisting of a fixed flow control orifice (not valve) to replace the EVO, and a length of pipe, i.e.,

You must be registered for see images attach

After installation, the result was an average (not light, not heavy) steering feel regardless of vehicle speed.

The resulting flow rate for that flow control orifice, I do not know. The steering feel would depend on that flow.

Since I don't know what flow control orifice might be provided in the replacement pump (OP's situation), I should probably not speculate on the resulting "feel".

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Interesting.

Well, I should perhaps give my point of reference.

I had the EVO on my 1998 Suburban.

I removed the EVO and installed the GM-sanctioned "kit" as a replacement for the EVO, consisting of a fixed flow control orifice (not valve) to replace the EVO, and a length of pipe, i.e.,

You must be registered for see images attach

After installation, the result was an average (not light, not heavy) steering feel regardless of vehicle speed.

The resulting flow rate for that flow control orifice, I do not know. The steering feel would depend on that flow.

Since I don't know what flow control orifice might be provided in the replacement pump (OP's situation), I should probably not speculate on the resulting "feel".
I put a pump from a 2015ish van that had hydroboost and a gearbox on mine.

The L31 I am in the process of building has the 87 pump on it. Both the newer and older pump bolted right to the L31 brackets.

Casey916

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for all the gm great info I just ended up getting the buypass pump and just taking the wires thanks completely taping them off good so no water got to them and the zip tied to to the harness

Piratehunter

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for all the gm great info I just ended up getting the buypass pump and just taking the wires thanks completely taping them off good so no water got to them and the zip tied to to the harness
that worked for me too