Struggling to crank

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

densobro

Reaction score
I applaud you tackling the correct issues. Unfortunately, those terminals, used as designed, are hot garbage. I recommend getting your hands on a crimper and some good terminals and some heat shrink.

Also, I really need to clean the top of my battery.

You must be registered for see images attach
Your looks good. Yeah I need some bigger connectors for sure. I did use connectors that crimp on the other sides of the cables. And I meant to snag some heat shrink tubing but I forgot all about it yesterday. Next chance I get I’ll get some better battery terminals

densobro

Reaction score
Problem solved.
Drive the truck to the advanced auto parts down the road where I got the battery and alternator a month ago and starter the other day, had them test it again. Came up as bad battery, so with out the dude sayin much, he disappeared into the store, comes out with a new battery. I put it in the truck to test it, and it fires right up. I cut it off and tested it a couple times just to be sure, perfect everytime. He said your battery is still under warranty so this ones one the house. Didn’t have to come back in side to sign or pay for anything. He said it’s odd for a brand new battery to be as shot as it was but said he’s seen it tons of times.
Now time for some real projects

JOHNGAAA1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
100% virgin lead. 1000 CCA. Can take numerous cycles and abuse. Sealed, no corrosion or acid leaks. My average battery life is 6 years. I store my vehicles and they do not come out in the winter. The battery has to be top notch otherwise they will die in a couple of years even with a trickle charger.

densobro

Reaction score
100% virgin lead. 1000 CCA. Can take numerous cycles and abuse. Sealed, no corrosion or acid leaks. My average battery life is 6 years. I store my vehicles and they do not come out in the winter. The battery has to be top notch otherwise they will die in a couple of years even with a trickle charger.
After this little ordeal, that definitely sounds worth it. But Jeeze I’m seeing them goin for about $300, I could get a new oem CD player for that and a wind shield wiper fluid Reservoir

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Next time yellow top optima !!
Nope. Every since Johnson Controls bought out Optima, their batteries have been overpriced garbage. The Air Force uses red-tops and blue-tops in flightline equipment, and we're replacing them far too often now. If you knock one dead on accident, it's garbage and will never recharge right again, even if you buy the high-dollar conditioner. The one thing they excel at is retaining a charge on equipment that sits months at a time.

As crazy as it sounds, Whamalart's batteries are budget Interstate batteries, and that's what I've been buying the last couple years.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Nope. Every since Johnson Controls bought out Optima, their batteries have been overpriced garbage. The Air Force uses red-tops and blue-tops in flightline equipment, and we're replacing them far too often now. If you knock one dead on accident, it's garbage and will never recharge right again, even if you buy the high-dollar conditioner. The one thing they excel at is retaining a charge on equipment that sits months at a time.

As crazy as it sounds, Whamalart's batteries are budget Interstate batteries, and that's what I've been buying the last couple years.
I've had good luck with the Duracell car batteries that Sam's Club sells. In Houston, Texas area, we rarely get more than 3 years out of a battery, and that's what the free replacement period is on them. After I get a chance to look underneath the Burb at the starter and stuff (when I get to do an oil change), I'll look at the battery. It still seems good and takes a charge, but it's been 3 years since I bought it, so I'm watching it.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Nope. Every since Johnson Controls bought out Optima, their batteries have been overpriced garbage.

X2. I had two Johnson Controls Optima yellow tops die in my red truck in less than a year. After that I switched to Odyssey Extremes. They're a little more expensive, but the only one I've had to replace so far lasted around seven or eight years. I've got one that's even older still going strong. They Odysseys also come with a three year free replacement warranty and are made in the USA by Enersys.