Stretched VW Vanagon on GMT400?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
I don't think so, 8 lug SF and FF should remain width the same whether in 2wd or 4wd configs. I think the 2wd 1500s only have a varying width because 2wd is a 10 bolt and 4wd should be the 14 bolt SF. This will also vary on engine choices too as I believe the BBC and diesel are always 14 bolt FF (although the BBC isn't available on 1500s AFAIK). Please correct me if I am wrong, but this is my understanding.

This is not correct! It does not matter if the truck is 2wd or 4wd, either can have a 8.5 ring gear or a 9.5 ring gear. Also 2wd and 4wd ARE different widths.

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
On a 4WD, 8 lug 3/4 ton front ends are indeed wider than the 6 lug half-tons. For the 8 lug front end conversion, you will to reweld one upper control arm mount on both sides and modify the bottom diff mount on the front. Lower control arms bolt in, shocks bolt in as well, rear will too. Since I was going from 6 to 8, I did have to use a conversion u-joint, since I was keeping the half-ton driveshaft. It was a bit of work, but so is a SAS. It just depends on if you have the motivation to.

Tyce Ferwerda

Reaction score
On a 4WD, 8 lug 3/4 ton front ends are indeed wider than the 6 lug half-tons. For the 8 lug front end conversion, you will to reweld one upper control arm mount on both sides and modify the bottom diff mount on the front. Lower control arms bolt in, shocks bolt in as well, rear will too. Since I was going from 6 to 8, I did have to use a conversion u-joint, since I was keeping the half-ton driveshaft. It was a bit of work, but so is a SAS. It just depends on if you have the motivation to.
I think I'll start with half ton. Keeping it narrow is a major "want" of mine. Then I'll see what kind of mods I can do. Like I mentioned earlier...I have a stock Vanagon that it looks like I can cut 22" out and use that set up for this build.

Tyce Ferwerda

Reaction score
When it's all said and done, you can still lift it. :cool:
Ya...my goal is little to no body lift so GM frame is not showing. It's nice to have a clean slate to do what I want. Little body lift, no body lift...The main center frame rails fit nicely just outside the OEM VW rails...so no body lift is a nice option