Stretched VW Vanagon on GMT400?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tyce Ferwerda

Reaction score
Hey Everybody!

I may be a little (a lot? lol) out of place here but thats ok. If this need to go to another thread, let me know. I am new to this entire process and will have many questions.

I do not have a GM of any kind but building this Stretched Vanagon that I hope to put the GTM400 or variation under it.

One question I have is: Are the truck frames basically the same as the Suburban frames?

In Wikipedia it specifically says that the 92-94 suburbans...
"Width 73.6 in (1,869 mm) (1992–94 Chevrolet) – 77.0 in (1,956 mm) (1995–96 GMC)"

So if this is true then I know I would like a 92-94 Suburban but not sure about the trucks or if this is simply a mistake?

This is my Van. Then I have a 92ish suburban frame GMT400? that I am experimenting with but want 3/4ton suspension etc...

Any help on this would be great. Thanks.

You must be registered for see images attach

ZRoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Love the double sliding doors.

Depending on what you want as a final product, lifting a truck can be a little easier because Suburbans have different leaf spring length (both 1500 and 2500).
A Suburban as a donor will have the extra HVAC components to help heat and cool that big bus!

What is that car in the foreground?

If you need any Suburban specific measurements let me know. I have a 1997 k2500 7.4l Vortec with the HD suspension.

Looking forward to seeing your progress! That will definitely be a unique ride!

Sent from my moto e5 supra using Tapatalk

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score

bugdewde

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Seems I read somewhere that the truck & suburban rear frames were slightly different. Maybe it was the rear crossmember? I'm not real sure .... Maybe someone can elaborate?

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Seems I read somewhere that the truck & suburban rear frames were slightly different. Maybe it was the rear crossmember? I'm not real sure .... Maybe someone can elaborate?

Don't Suburbans have the tank in the rear instead of the side like trucks?

Tyce Ferwerda

Reaction score
Love the double sliding doors.

Depending on what you want as a final product, lifting a truck can be a little easier because Suburbans have different leaf spring length (both 1500 and 2500).
A Suburban as a donor will have the extra HVAC components to help heat and cool that big bus!

What is that car in the foreground?

If you need any Suburban specific measurements let me know. I have a 1997 k2500 7.4l Vortec with the HD suspension.

Looking forward to seeing your progress! That will definitely be a unique ride!

Sent from my moto e5 supra using Tapatalk
Thanks. And thanks for your reply. The HVAC stuff would be a nice bonus. I measured a Suburban this morning and outside tire to outside tire is 74". The tires would stick out 1"ish each side. Very acceptable. BUT I couldn't find a year...faded. I also measured an early 90's shortbed, also 74". Not sure of year either. Can you measure your fronts and rears? I'm also considering S10 type set up...but mostly for a stock van. Can't narrow (?) A truck or any gmt400, because of torsion bars...I'd rather use a truck chassis...since it will be easier to deal with can, bed etc than a whole Suburban body...Thanks again. I'm still intrigued to know if Wikipedia is wrong...

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I was going to say Bradley GT and Cavalier, but I'm not sure of that.
I've never heard of a Bradley GT so i could very well be wrong :shrug: LOL

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
So tell us, was this VW Vanagon a running vehicle at one time, or are you working on putting the body together now for the first time? The picture makes it look like a small scale city bus.