Strength of IFS ?

Discussion in 'Offroad Chat / Trail Ride Reports / Carnage' started by Sean McDonough, Apr 24, 2018.

1. JCribb

JCribb Old Army truck mechanic

Honestly the weak points are head gaskets (vortec engines), and cracked heads (tbi engines), and some suffer from both. The auto-tragic 4L60E as I call it is the bigger weak link over suspension, but as it was previously mentioned the 10 bolt Gov-bomb would wave bye bye before snapping a cv axle.

CV axle snapping happens when you lock the front axle and you have a large tire in a very tight position. Sadly there’s very few if any front lockers available for the ifs, and I believe most are available for the 3/4 ton ifs differential.

For what it’s worth, the best upgrade to the axle is the 9.5” 14 bolt which is a six lug axle. I have that in my 94 currently geared with 4.10’s and a Detroit tru trac locker. I love the tru trac because it’s perfect upgrade for every day use, and it is very quiet.

2. lubbockguy1979

lubbockguy1979 Newbie

My advice at the 35" tire level. Get some life time warranty shafts from autozone. When i went playing which was several years ago. I had a excab swb z71 on 33"s and later a reg cab swb z71 on 35" tires. Both i had to very commonly swap cv shafts. They are pretty simple and after doing a few they can be done with the tire on but jacked up (the stub in the cv axle supports the hub bearing). On both truck i ran a l31 motor with the gmpp tbi/vortec intake. The 700r/4l60e tranny was also a real expensive weak spot. After years in 88-98 halfton trucks i finally stepped up to 3/4ton and 1 ton trucks with much beefier axles and transmissions. If you are hard on it your going to have issues. The 14 bolt semi floater rear is a more substantial axle then the more common 10 bolt but locker and limited slips are pricey or were back then and the spiders are weak on them.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

3. randomguy

randomguy OBS Enthusiast

Having owned 3 square body straight axle trucks and now a couple IFS trucks I’d opine it’s a toss up.

The front 10B/D44 isn’t terrible but under a heavy truck even 33’s will smoke ball joints fast and the stock push pull steering blows. They are easy to work on at least and lifts are super simple. Cross over steering really helps too. I don’t know that I’d lock one under a heavy truck but I know it’s been done. For a straight wheeler beater definitely better than IFS.

The half ton IFS truck doesn’t seem as vulnerable to ball joint wear as long as the angles are reasonable. Steering at stockish angles is good. The 8.25 front diff is pretty weak and cannot be locked without risk of grenading. It’s a pain in the ass to work on due to clearance underneath and lifts are a lot of work. Stockish height as a daily beater though I’d take the IFS over the square body solid axle setup any day of the week.

884x4310ci likes this.