Strange Engineering Dana 60 (S60) - Thoughts?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nineno

Reaction score
Hey all - I have an `89 SWB/SC that was originally a V6 truck. I don't have the axle code handy, but I certainly had some "mile-maker" gears (3.08?), and not anything that will be appropriate once I complete the powertrain swap.

Earlier today I was looking around Rock Auto and was surprised to see that they offer 'fully' and 'mostly' (less axle shaft) built axle assemblies from Cardone and Zumbrota. I thought the price (including core charge) was reasonable for a fully built axle with or without an LSD ($1900 to $2300, depending on options). However, I have no idea if these are quality builds, or not. (The cost to return the core would probably also negate the incentive to actually return the core, too.)

I was going to figure out how much it would cost to have Strange or Currie setup the axle that I already have, which led to the discovery that Strange now offers a fully-built Dana 60 specifically for GMT4xx/OBS trucks. (https://www.strangeengineering.net/product/strange-c1500-dana-60-rear-end-88-98-c1500-k1500.html/) While more expensive (starting at $2540), this seems like a very good value for someone that needs a stronger-than-stock axle, but doesn't want the weight penalty (or Easter Egg hunt) of the OE semi-floater corporate 14-bolt.

Does anyone have experience with this particular setup from Strange? I've had Strange setup a couple of 9" center sections for me, and they've been great - functionally perfect. I've had a couple of OE D-60s in various vehicles, and they're very tough axles. (Sure, they have their limitations, but the ceiling is far higher than the stock OBS light-duty axle.) Seems like a pretty ideal axle for a 400-700hp engine swap. Thoughts?

tpass

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You can't go wrong with anything from Strange, plus it says "custom built" or built to order which means if you need any mods they can be done during the build.

As for price i don't know.... never been in the axle market, but for peace of mind you are probably correct, you would have a brand new unit that is most likely bullet proof.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
nineno. Is your truck already or going to be lowered?
With all the no charge options, there's a few that I'd recommend.
Looks like one tough rear end & IMO would easily handle 700hp. With that kinda power, there'd be other gremlins that would raise their heads before that rear end would be a concern.