Storage ideas?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joe Dirte

I'm an idiot!
Reaction score
So i posted up my 98 4wds loaded toolbox. Its pretty well stocked for damn near anything. Now im thinkin bout my 96 sierra. Its a shortbed 2wd. With the plans i have for it (4/6 drop, 20s, rollpan etc.) i think a toolbox would look out of place and almost an eyesore. I wanna drive it to work once in awhile but dont wanna clutter up my cab. I hate when people let trash n junk accumulate in their interiors. I carry my drag bag with me to anywhere i work and some hand tools. Sometimes my bag n tools get disgustingly filthy and i dont wanna carry em in the cab. Id thought bout a toolbox that sits below rails but dont wanna lose too much space if i need to haul anything cuz its still a truck. Maybe a low profile soft bed cover and a small box in the back? Any other ideas? Im open to suggestions or ideas.

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've been toying with a similar idea as well. In the next couple years I'd like to get a boat which I'd like to get a 2wd dually and drop it pretty much like you're talking. I wanted to have a bed cover to eliminate the eyesore of a fifth wheel hitch plus keep some tools in the back. My thought was welding some diamond plate in the back about a foot back from the cab to make little cubbies so stuff doesn't slide around, you could always put a lid on it if you wanted to hide it, or even put locks on it to keep other people out of your stuff.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Joe Dirte

I'm an idiot!
Reaction score
I've been toying with a similar idea as well. In the next couple years I'd like to get a boat which I'd like to get a 2wd dually and drop it pretty much like you're talking. I wanted to have a bed cover to eliminate the eyesore of a fifth wheel hitch plus keep some tools in the back. My thought was welding some diamond plate in the back about a foot back from the cab to make little cubbies so stuff doesn't slide around, you could always put a lid on it if you wanted to hide it, or even put locks on it to keep other people out of your stuff.

Not a bad idea. Wonder bout maybe makin someway to have storage boxes lock into the bed when needed? Or maybe somethin foldable that would lay flat when u dont need it. Hmmm... Wheels are turnin... Grindin but still turnin.

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Weld a piano hinge down and attach the diamond plate to that, reinforce the corners and top, grab some tailgate hardware and put the ends inside the bed so it closes just like a tailgate, with another piano hinge on the bottom of the bed rail attach sheet metal for the top with a cabinet lock. When not in use just unlock, pop the handle on the front and it would fold down, and the top would fold down to the front of the cab. If you weld some angle iron onto the cab and the front of the box you could put some removable inserts in too.

WILWAXU

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yup. That was my first thought. A box/trunk that is below the sight line of the bedsides would look good, especially in black.